• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old is too old?

weeble

Not sure if this is in the right section but here goes. My mum has a five yr old Dutch bun he is really friendly but has no teeth he is vaccinated but not neutered. She has decided she would like to get a friend for him and spoke to her vet about neutering but the vet said he thinks he is too old. I'm not sure how rabbit savvy the vet is as its mainly a large animal practice - just wondered what other peoples thoughts are on neutering age?

Last edited:
I've had 5 year old bucks neutered in the past with no problems :) I'm sure people on here have had them done much older, I'm sure Jack's-Jane has had a few done around the 7 mark. It is a pretty quick operation for boys so in the hands of a competent vet I'd be comfortable having it done at that age. I must admit I think I'd go and find a decent small animal practice rather than one that deals mainly with large animals though!

I had my two 5 year old girls neutered yesterday with no problems. Castration is an easier op so if the bun is healthy and you find a vet who is experienced and confident in neutering older bunnies it shouldn't be a problem. It would be lovely if he could have the company of another bunny for his retirement :D

Oooo sounds like I might have to gently suggest she changes vets scary she has been with that one for about twenty years and although we love each other we do argue a bit :cry:

Back