• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new toys ideas

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
Hi all,
Ive noticed that my bunny is not a sterotypical bunny when it comes to toys. She does not like chewing on cardboard, or shredding newspapers or phone books etc.
So i have watched my bunny quite a bit and leave random stuff on the floor and see what she goes for. My bunny seems to like a challenge, but not too much of a challenge so thats its too hard!
So this thread is for anyone who has a bunny that is just not interested in the usual bunny toys.

Idea 1: Get a full toilet roll and give to bunny. My bunny does not bother with the cardboard toilet roll itself but does love tearing up the tissue of the toilet paper!

Idea 2: Get a clean plastic coke/lemonade bottle with the cap-top tightened on. Take off plastic advertsing company wrapper off. Wash glue strip off which held the plastic wrapper on. Then wrap the bottle length-ways in layers of newspapers. Each layer of newspaper needs to be securely interlocked around the bottle. This is can be done by folding the end of the newpaper layer into a point (like you would when wrapping a gift). Then using a knife, make 2 slits in the newpaper layer where the newspaper point would roll up. Then thread the newspaper point down through the first slit and up through the second slit and then fold down the newspaper point backwards. This is your basic type of interlocking mechanism and therefore does not use anything toxic to fasten and therfore little bunny is safe! Do this with as many layers of newspapers as you like.
Your bunny can then shred the newspaper lots and enjoys the wild game of chasing the bottle around the floor as it rolls about when your bunny tries to get it! (my bunny goes round in circles trying to catch it!) Your bunny will also like gnawing at the bottle cap-top on the bottle, as it has ridges on and good for grinding down teeth.
A further tip is that you can make it also like pass the parcel game children play. Within each layer of newpaper have a food treat. such as food nugget, or fresh grass etc.

Also can put items into the bottle itself and therefore make a rattling sound when your bunny chases and nudges it!

An extra tip is like my bunny, needs to have a starting point and wont be interested if it has only the edges of the newspaper sides to get a grip on it with her teeth. So with each layer of newspaper, you can make starting points for your bunny to get going with. Make a "door flap" type mechanism within the newspaper. It need not be big, for example cut 2 vertical slits of an inch in length with a 2cm gap between them. Then cut a slit on one side to join the slits togehter and hey presto you have a flap!

As always, these ideas may not work for your bunny as each bunny is different and may want to eat things rather than just chew and spit it out and claw. So please watch your bunny if they eat anything bad when giving these ideas a try. If they do eat it then please remove this toy.

Last edited:
Back