• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up bunnies?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I've read all the info on picking up bunnies, so I understand the slowly slowly approach as they dont generally like it. My buns are quite young but clearly don't like it. This is not a problem as we are all quite content with just nose rubs and stroking at floor level. BUT, what happens when I need to pick them up for vet visits or generally to check them for any problems. Do most people just try and pick them up once every few days so they are semi used to it or do you just don thick armour and accept get beaten up when it has to be done?

i pick my bunnies up everyday, but they've been used to it from they where 8 weeks old. i need to carry mine from the shed into the house, they don't really mind petal not so much, you just need to work on a few technics that suit each bun, you can always train them to go into the carrier so you don't need to lift them.

One of my buns doesn't like it, but will let me if I need to. The other 2 hate it and I have to get them to go in a cat carrier. If I need to cut their nails I wrap a towel around them.

I would build up there trust with nose rubs and treats on ground level and go from there. I feel it is important to be able to handle bunnies as in the summer they will need their bums checked at least twice a day for flystrike, a difficult task when the cant be handled. There are some bunnies that wont let you pick them up on anyterms but if yours learn to accept it ,it makes things easier in the longrun. Like most bunnies none of mine enjoy being picked up but accept it and we dont have struggles. They dont leg it after either so it cant be that bad :lol:

Edit to add. Rabbits are prey animals so are very sensitive, dont force handling on them if they stuggle let them go gently and try again another day, dont over stress them. Also always sit on the floor to begin with as you dont want to risk a fall at height.

Last edited:
It's best to tackle the problem now before you need to pick them up and have problems :) Start with building up their confince with you touching them all over. You need to be able to get a hand under their chest and under their bum before you can even think about lifting. Lots of treats to keep them happy and occupied and let them back away as they like. Just do it a few times a day and they'll eventually ignore it. Then lift their chest a fraction so you take some of their weight. As they get used to that lift enough so their front feet clear the ground. The same but with a hand on their bum. Then lift totally an inch in the air and down again. Repeat lots more. Then move them a few inches sideways when you lift. Build up really slowly so they learn to ignore you doing 'crazy' things at each stage as nothing bad happens. You can gradually work your way up to more impressive lifts and carrying them :)

Tam

i tend to just pick mone up when absolutely necessary as they are not keen - before i got them they were a neglect case and were rescued by the rspca, when they found them they were in a caravan and had no human contact for god knows how long. They have got a lot friendler over the past year and even come up for a quick scratch behind the ear but picking them up is still a bit stressy for them and so i only do it when a trip to the vets is needed.

OK thanks guys :D Mine are quite friendly they dont mind stroking and nose rubs so I will begin mission 'Piccy-Uppy' tonight, hopefully by Christmas we will be able to have a full, off the floor, cuddle under the mistletoe :lol:

Hi,
Ive also had problems picking my bunny up too. she always thumps her foot before i pick her up because she knows its coming. and also after she has been let down. This thread has been very helpful. I will try your idea Tasmin, sounds very good. I was starting to think of alternatives until your thread. One of my alternatives was to make a large sling out of an old sheet and have it round the neck and arms (an adapted version when you brake your arm and therefore needs to be in a sling). then lure her in with treats and then pick her up using the sling. This idea any good?
but definately will try your idea tasmin before i try anything else.thanks for the tips!

If you just need to move you bun from place to place then a cat carrier that has a side door is goood. You can encourage them to hop in (pop a treat inside) then close the door and lift. It's also handy whilst your practicing lifting gradually so you don't upset them carrying them and go back a step in teaching them its okay.

Tam

My angora hates being picked up (I have to 'catch' her:D) but once she's out of her hutch, is very calm and laid back and used to being handled as she has to be groomed a couple of times a week. I've noticed she comes out of the hutch calmer if I lift her out backwards. Sometimes she'll hop into a little basket, which is OK. But the odd thing is - she's extremely good at sitting on my lap when I groom her, and very happy to be given attention (although she was quite nervy when we first got her and still is with stranger people) - it's just the lifting out she hates, not the being cuddled and groomed part which she seems to love. I guess it's because they're prey animals so anything lifting them up is going to be bad news.

You may find, like my bun, your's may not like being picked up our of their house but will be perfectly cool with being handled, after that.:D

I try not to interfere too much with the bunnies when they are in their cage as I like them to think it is their safe place. But trying to go near them when they are free ranging not a hope.. there's just the shortest glimpse of a speedy little fur ball with tail :lol: but they are quite happy to come up to me on their own accord. So I think its just a case of me staying put and letting them do their thing and try out Tamsins tactics of sneaky handling with a few treats!

Hi
Ive finally had success in picking my bunny up at last. Ususally its quite a struggle to get her as she runs away and also she thumps her hind leg before and after picking her up on the floor. However I have finally picked her up a couple of times now and she didnt thump her leg at all! The trick was for my bunny is that to pick her up facing you after a few reassuring strokes and baby-talk. This way she can see where you are and that you are not a threat! I also give her a reward for her good behaviour.

Here is a link to a website thats shows you in a video clip which will take you to utube website to demonstrate it. Also there a few cool tips on the actual website itself too!
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/georgiawilliams/videos.html

Back