• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deafness

blaisey

Mama Doe
Is there anyway to tell if a rabbit is just ignoring you or if it is actually deaf?
Flopsie doesn't really respond much when we're talking or calling her name.

Normally deaf buns startle quite easily as they don't hear you enter the room and then jump when they suddenly see you.
I always find if they don't react when I'm hoovering then they normally turn out to be deaf :)

i think alvin is deaf.. he never reacts to the noise of the treat tin, but comes running and buzzing when pearl comes.. he never comes to his name, he startles very easily, he doenst stop nortiness till i actually go to him, hes not at all bothered by the hoover and is generally more relaxed than pearl.

I often wonder whether my two are at least partially deaf or hard-of-hearing (especially Hector) - they don't respond to being called at all (but come running over when they see you), pay no attention to hoovering, fireworks or the noisy building works next door, and sometimes get startled if you go and stroke them and they haven't seen you coming (but are pretty laid back otherwise). It would make sense now that i know deafness is quite common in lops.

Normally deaf buns startle quite easily as they don't hear you enter the room and then jump when they suddenly see you.
I always find if they don't react when I'm hoovering then they normally turn out to be deaf :)

I have a mini-lop that scans & usually completely ignores me when I walk in a room. I've been known to "prod" her before now:oops: She's really friendly though, & apart from having to wave my arm frantically in front of her face, to make sure she knows it's feed time:roll:, there's no problems:lol:

8 of our rabbits have hearing problems, but they all are happy and live normal bunny lives. And they all certainly know when it is dinner time :lol::lol:

I was wondering this today. I think maybe its a bit like humans, as they get older they get harder hearing, maybe? Frasier, my oldest rabbit of 5 years, he sometimes ignores me when I bring food - definately NOT his usual response. I have to go right up to him and waggle it and then he almost headbuts my hand to gobble up!! :lol:

He has bad eyesight too (birth deformity) so usually the hearing would be better but he is a lop which might make it a bit harder. I must say when he does see and hear me with food he bounds up to me and sometimes does a funny lap through his tunnells around the room before he comes - like a YYayyyyyyy foodies.:lol::lol:

I have a mini-lop that scans & usually completely ignores me when I walk in a room. I've been known to "prod" her before now:oops: She's really friendly though, & apart from having to wave my arm frantically in front of her face, to make sure she knows it's feed time:roll:, there's no problems:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

we bang the floor to get alvin to come out from under the sofa.. thankfully its not a concrete floor :D

Back