• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Dwarf rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I am Josh Wilcox I live in Florida and i have seven rabbits. All of my rabbits are Netherland Dwarf rabbits and i am having trouble breeding them. OK correction i am having a hard time with them giving birth. How long is the usual time that rabbits hold kits in the bodies before birth?

If you have decided to breed you really should have done research and have general knowledge on rabbits..such as gestation time..BEFORE breeding:?

28 - 32 days is the answer you need..if a doe is over this she will need checking by a vet
and please think about not breeding anymore..at least until you have done some background research on rabbit care/health
I hope all your does are ok.

Does

Ok i have done my research enough to know that but i just wanted a second opinion but my rabbit was bread on the 6th of October and she has not given birth. Are there any signs that she has reabsorbed the babies or ate the babies

Yes

I am having a lot of problems like i said i bread them on the 6th of october and she still have not given birth yet and im scared that she might die i have three that are pregnet

With all due respect, anyone coming on this site wishing to get advice on how to breed a rabbit is likely to get rather short thrift.
There are so many hundreds of beautiful unwanted rabbits looking for homes already - why would you want to add to their numbers.

It is a lovely thought to produce a bundle of little balls of fluff that are cute and cuddly, but they will then need a home....

Proper care of rabbits entails neutering, vaccinations and providing the best living conditions possible, along with possible vet bills, which all adds up to the costs of keeping several rabbits.

I would respectfully suggest you consider getting your bunnies neutered and enjoy their company without making them into a breeding factory.

Last edited:
Has she built a nest?..or anythign that looks like an attempt at a nest..if young her nest building skills may be hap hazard
If not she has probbly not given birth and eaten them
She may have reabsorbed them if stressed..as you do not know you need a vet to check her
and sorry but you do seem very limited in your rabbit knowledge and this could result in your rabbits having problems you do not recognise..
so please get a bit more educated on bunnies before mating your rabbits again..for their sakes
not trying to be nasty just concerned for the rabbits

ETA And This Doe needs to see a vet..may be worth getting your other 2 checked ..

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to RU :)

Have you bred rabbits before? What do you plan to do with all the babies?
I don't know anything about breeding rabbits but I think you should probably take the bunnies you think are pregnant to the vets, just to make sure they are okay.

maggie

hi maggie is my bunny i researched what i thought i needed to know but it looks like i need to research more. The only thing is that i need help with this and you critizing me does not help the matter

Sorry but sometimes it is frustrating..and you do need to learn more about rabbits if you continue to breed
Please get the overdue doe checked by a good rabbit vet and I hope she is ok

i have never bred bunnies before but i want to try because i want to experience it all the ups and the downs

What will you do with the babies? It will be hard finding homes for them all. One rabbit can soon turn into lot's and lot's of rabbits if you are not careful!
I have 3 male rabbits that are rescues. Most people on this forum have rabbits from rescue centres or run rabbit rescues. There are thousands of unwanted rabbits in the world :(

i want to take the chance

i dont care what anyone says on the forum about people dont want rabbits and it will be hard to find homes i am willing to take the chance and i will not breed rabbits till i find homes

i have never bred bunnies before but i want to try because i want to experience it all the ups and the downs

I'm honestly not having a go here.... but if you want to experience the ups and downs perhaps volunteer to work at a rescue... the ups and downs come a plenty.... and in my own experience a litter of kits was greeted with absolute joy but also overwhelming sadness that yet more bunnies had come into a very much over bunny populated society. I'm not saying it wasn't an absolute dream to see them grow up but it was also very stressful making sure they all had the perfect home. Baby bunnies are also so very fragile, I have looked after a couple of unwanted litters and rehomed them with the help of a rescue, but I also lost one which broke my heart...:cry:

Please think about what i have said, its not healthy for you or the bunnies. I would advise you to get ALL your buns vet checked and the bucks neutered asap.

You don't mention how you keep your buns, but most love company - it would be so much more rewarding for you to bond where you can and enjoy them being happy.

Oh and don't forget about the rescue... I think you would find that very rewarding and it would certainly give you some insight and experience.

hi maggie is my bunny i researched what i thought i needed to know but it looks like i need to research more. The only thing is that i need help with this and you critizing me does not help the matter

You are not being criticized, just being given the best advice we can give you.

We are trying to guage your level of knowledge.

Are you good at sexing your rabbits?
It might be a good idea to get all your seven rabbits to a vet to have them sexed, and your does looked over to see if they are indeed pregnant.
You will have to seperate any pregnant does from any males, and isolate them so they can nest and give birth in peace.
Your vet will advise you on birth, and care of babies etc.

I would then advise you keep your two sexes apart until you have planned the future properly for all your rabbit family.

Thanks

Thank you that is what i wanted to hear i do indeed know how to sex a rabbit and i know indeed that i have 4 does and three bucks so thanks i will seperate the from the bucks and see what happens

Your rabbit may not of mated on that day. I thought my rabbit had mated but it was a couple of days later as the birth was overdue, as I thought. You do really need to take them to a vet to be sure they are actually pregnant.

Has the doe that is due made a nest? although not every doe makes a nest well before they have them, my doe made a nest the same day!

I would really reconsider your thoughts about breeding as really there are no "up's" just "downs"

My rabbits first lot of kits all died, all 6 of them, then another 3 in the next litter died too, very upsetting.

I now have baby rabbits which whom Im trying to home, with no luck so far. Although I am making sure they go to good homes maybe this is why.

And another big down is going to be seeing them go. I have seen these little babies grow from day one and really fell in love with their little personalities, its heartbreaking to think I will never see them again.

Although they are very cute most people buy them for the wrong reasons, for their kids or whatever, and they just end up sitting in a hutch not getting bothered with, and one day will be passed to another home.

There are millions of animals unwanted in this world please have a good think about that before adding to the problems.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back