• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

update on bertie the rew frenchie in my siggy

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:wave: im sooo happy..i know berties not out of the woods yet and im having to feed him 250ml feed daily plus metaclop and zantac for as long as it is possible for..but hes home yah!!

the vet said she did an xray whilst he was awake from above his back and they got a lovley clear view of his insides...luckily no tumours which we both expected.....and no stones and absolutely no impaction or blockages.....
his tummy wasnt distended as he had a weeny bit of food in it and hes had so much meds inc infacol at the beginning his tummy wasnt full of gas so i can stop the metacam..yay!!

shes given me a bag of oxbow critical care and also this mix she swears by its for cats n dogs and does have milk protein but not fat or lactose/milk sugars.
but she said buns adore it and so i have a sachet of that too. shes managed to get hold of some huge syringes for me..60ml ones!:shock:

bertie had a while to settle from the vets and then had 120ml of oxbow critical care and he actually liked the stuff:shock: he hates science rabbit recovery tho:shock: hes had his zantac and metaclop twice today but its only one dose missed.

im worried sick about him but its all we can do is force feed him..medciate him
keep him comfy give him cuddles on the settee..yes he loves to be lifted onto the setee and you cuddle him alongside your thigh..or your face and stroke him and hug him like a cuddly toy..its what he grew used to with the little boy who used to climb into his hutch in his shed and go to sleep hugging him....awwwww

hes very weak and wobbly..and still not eating more than one or two mouthfuls a day and only having a very tiny amount of water. ellen gave him sub cut fluids again and hes been and done only a few but HUGE poos his normal size..but theyre a bit odd shaped and hes done t wo soft poos on the floor.

ellen said its a mystery..all they could put it down to was losing willow affected him so badly he went off his food and water and an infection set in and he had a fever etc..and didnt want to drink even let alone eat as his grief was sooo bad...one thing led to another and hes been very very poorly and we all expected the worst!
i took the info about zantac in to her this morning and she was amazingly helpful and interested. she was also shocked to hear we dont use selamectin over here for our buns instead we use ivermectin....in holland its commonly used in buns and even hamsters to erdaciate mites and ear mites etc:shock:

she rang me this afternoon and came to the conclusion that bertie has become sicker as indeed his tummy was full of acid..would also explain the anameia even tho its very mild....and hes grieving very very badly and suffering form an overload of stress as a result:cry::cry:

he needs to be kept indoors and nursed intensively until he is fully reocvered..fingers crossed he does as if hes that depressed etc he may not want to:cry: he cant have his myxi jab either...not for along time:(

keep the vibes up..i am so scared of getting up going downstairs and finding him dead or dying like willow..its terrifying:(

thank you all so much xxxx

At least you know he hasn't got cancer which must be a relief.What do they think the mass is on his bum?Sending mega recovery vibes Bertie's way

Well done Bertie, you must be so relieved. Hopefully he will contiue to improve with time. I'm so glad the zantac seems to be doing the trick :) Well done

im so glad hes home :)
i hope he gets better, big vibes for him and a huge hug for you..i know exactly how you feel having such a poorly bun. <3

:D:D:D This is really good news:D:D:D
I am really pleased for you over the xray results and I am so pleased he is eating something. You really are a flipin good bunny mum:D

thank you...huge relief....we were expecting something awful for sure.

ellen says its a polyp and is harmless as they dont turn cancerous like bowel polyps not like they do in humans anyway.

i had to dash out this morning and nikki was still asleep..i gave him a cuddle and a piece of weetabix nom nom nom....when ig ot back just after midday nikki was awake and she gave him his meds and fed him whilst i filmed him. she says shell get aorund to editing it and put it up on fuzzywgs so as soon as shes done it..might take a few days tho..then ill post it.
looking at it osme little bun owenrs might think shes being far too tough holding him..us biggie bun owners only know too well the power these buns have.

cant belive its been two weeks since we lost willow and its been non stop since then..........

me a good bunny mummy..no...nikki is her n bertie have a special bond and altho he may fight her etc..he will eventually behave as i get upset thinking im stressing him too much and he knows im soft:oops:

i can medicate him but feedings a nightmare...he may be weak but omg is he strong still!!

hes still not eating or drinking by himself tho apart from the bit of weetabix and some banana last night.
ive bought a huge bag of spring greens from asda and will wet it lots and tempt him..ive also splashed out a tenner on a bag of wheat barley and oats hay..he lvoes it normally.
weve putthe heating on for him as its chilly in the house..he cans noozeon the floor where its cooler even cold on the lino or snooze in the tent or in thebed weve made him under the radiatior our end of lounge..even if theres a cat there hell share..hes very fond of the cats and they love him..they think hes their dad:lol: andsalem washes him etc to make sure hes ok.

i actually had some poops to sweep up..not many but some..and he does seem more comfy but sooo tired even for a bun who sleeps 23 hrs a day normally:lol:

is there anything else i can do that im missing here?

the only prob hes causing is that hes sleeping up against the hutch and i had to put pen panels up against the doors as he was eating them:shock:
it means getting to bif n bandit is very diff......nikkis gonna take him up on settee to cuddle him etc and i get to clean out the litties and let them run aorund quick..they wentwild whilst he was at the vets loved it peed and pooed all over his stuff the monkies! he wants to be near em obviously for company:(

if he does pull thru this ill bond him back to the teenies and wait then beg someone here if i pay petrol to take us over to a rescue to let the three meet a alrge lady bun who can intergrate into the group and love bertie like he needs..pipe dream eh:(

keep sending him vibes..i wont be ok till i see him eating and drinking by himself and peeing more than a teeny bit and pooping way way more like he usally does..bertie the poop machine:lol:

yup the zantac has helped...ellen said it actually fitted the symptoms and problems..him having a slightly ulcerated gut..the anaemia...the stress levels in his bloodwork..the response to the zanatac etc
so maybe itll become common practice among them now to use zantac..berties certainly baffled a 4 strong vet meeting!!

you're doing great and hopefully now he's home it will make all the difference. with all the love your giving him hopefully he's start to feel happier and start to get better! it must be so difficult after losing willow and i am thinking of you
lisa and the buns x

Back