• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Special Needs Bunny?

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
At Scunthorpe Rabbit Rescue, we recently took on a little lionhead boy called Sonny. He quickly earnt the nickname Scrappy Doo.
He's not quite right and is living with a lady called Helen. She's giving him some one-to-one time and they've even converted her shed for him. There's a little hole in the side and he has a run attached.

Helen made a list of things Sonny does:
- He won't climb, or jump up
- Not really aware of anything above his eye line
- Circles a lot (He goes round his run like a routine)
- Can't cope with sudden noise or movement
- Doesn't use tunnels unless encouraged
- Doesn't really want to be touched but will come close

Helen did teach him to use a tunnel, and he was doing everything in a certain order, but when they made the hole in the shed, it was a new thing for him to learn how to use, and it was like he forgot how to use the tunnel. If he gets freaked out by something, he runs around in circles, like he's chasing his tail.

He eats well though and will take treats from your hand. He also likes running around Helen's legs and the sweeping brush bless him :lol:

If anyone has any experience with special needs bunnies, or can give us any advice would be great.
He's not been neutered, and we more than likely won't neuter him as the stress will be too much for him.

We have two buns who have similar problems - both are brain damaged but this has been caused by crossing the pain barrier :( They are both neutered and are happy little souls:love::love::love:

They are both bonded with other partners as well - so he may well be able to be neutered depending on what the vet thinks:) Has he got any old breaks on bones anywhere?

Our very first brain damaged boy had been used as a football by children for a good while:cry::cry::cry:

He sounds very similar to Hugo. He had brain damage, I think a combination of EC and being kept in terrible conditions for the first year of his life. He was neutered but we were unable to bond him to another bunny, he just became to distressed. He was deaf and blind but could distinguish some light and dark.
He did eventually learn to use tunnels and a treat ball.

Although he couldn't be held and didn't like the rest of his body or ears being touched he loved a face massage. I would sit on the floor with him and he would sit between my legs while I massaged his face and round his eyes. I use tellington touch techniques. he would fall asleep everytime and usually start dribbling :lol: However he would only want it once or twice a week, he alsway let me know if he did or he didn't want to be massaged.

I would give him plenty of time to settle down, it will take a special bunny much longer to adjust and get use to a new routine. Observe his behaviour and stick to his routine for a few months if he doesn't get any worse I would speak to a vet about the possibility of neutering. Even if he can't be bonded at least he wont have to deal with his hormones on top of everything else.

sounds similar to a blind or nearly blind bunny.. i would get him vet checked to se if its his eyes or a nurological problem i would also treat for ec with pannacur just in case xx

I thought of brain damage too, I knew a bun with no balance, his cerebellum was under developed. Definatly take the wee chap to the vet.

Thanks for the response :)

We'll get the little guy checked over. We all just had no idea what was goin on in his head and didn't really have any idea what to do with him. Just want him to be as happy and relaxed as possible :)

Back