• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and Rabbits, advice please!

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

I know I mentioned this briefly the other day, but now I am really starting to wonder...

We tried bonding our recently widowed Nicholas with Hunny & Mustard, with a big fight putting a stop to that. :(

He looked so lonely and sad out there, so we bought him indoors. He has settled in so well in the lounge and is starting to show a very friendly side to him we rarely saw when he was with Mags.

The thing is, we have a young tom kitten in the house too. So far, we have only allowed Zorro (kitten) in the lounge when Nicholas is in his cage. But today has kind of been a decider...

The other 2 buns came inside for a quick warm up and dry as they were out in the rain and I felt sorry for them.:roll: They came in and started to attack Nicholas through the bars, and I mean REALLY going nuts at him. I had to put a beach mat around his cage so they couldn't see him and they still kept trying to attack him through that.:shock:

When Zorro is in the lounge, Nick and him lie down next to each other with the bars of the cage separating them. If Zorro gets playful, he reaches in and paws Nick, no claws, really gently. Nick isn't scared of him, he actually begs to be let out when Zorro comes in the room! They touch noses and follow eachother up and down the sides of the cage. No stamping, teeth grinding or any signs of agression from either of them.

I know that some of you have cats and bunnies together, how did you introduce them? Do you think it might work?

We are planning on letting Nick stay in this winter, as a lone house bun, then next summer when Miffy comes back, bond Nick and Miffy and have 2 separate pairs again, like before.

You should stick w/ bonding 2 pairs, each pair separate from the other pair. Thus, Nicholas should be having a new female companion. And they should be separate from Hunny & MUstard.

In the future, when Nicholas has a new girlfriend, they can mingle w/ the other 2 in a neutral territory, like your backyard. But no guarantee if 2 pairs see the others, that they wouldn't fight

My cat is brilliant with the rabbits, she will happily sleep with my rats but I wouldn't leave my cat with either unsupervised just incase :) I would never forgive myself if any of them got hurt, including my cat :)

My mums cat plays too rough with the rabbits, and he will only ended up being kicked in the face or something so he isn't allowed near the rabbits at all :shock:

I don't think there is any harm in them being in the same room together as long as you are there the whole time x

My rabbit, Pickles, seems to adore my big fluffy black cat Ross and I know I've seen pics on here of cats, dogs and buns cuddling. If your in the room when their together then why not?:)

You should stick w/ bonding 2 pairs, each pair separate from the other pair. Thus, Nicholas should be having a new female companion. And they should be separate from Hunny & MUstard.

In the future, when Nicholas has a new girlfriend, they can mingle w/ the other 2 in a neutral territory, like your backyard. But no guarantee if 2 pairs see the others, that they wouldn't fight

Thanks

Up until Friday we had Hunny & Mustard in one section of the aviary, and Nicholas & Maggie in the other half. There is 2 aviary panels dividing the two halves.

Now Maggie has passed, and we have Miffy due back in the summer, the ultimate plan will be to bond Nicholas with Miffy, then put them in one half of the aviary, like it used to be.:)

My cat is brilliant with the rabbits, she will happily sleep with my rats but I wouldn't leave my cat with either unsupervised just incase :) I would never forgive myself if any of them got hurt, including my cat :)

My mums cat plays too rough with the rabbits, and he will only ended up being kicked in the face or something so he isn't allowed near the rabbits at all :shock:

I don't think there is any harm in them being in the same room together as long as you are there the whole time x

I'd never thought about kicks to Zorro, more like claws to Nicolas! :shock:

Nicholas is actually twice the size of the cat! I might give it a little go this evening, as I cant keep shutting Zorro in the kitchen every evening to let Nick have a free range - it's not fair on Zorro. He cries at the door cos he wants to come in, and Nick sniffs under the door cos he wants Zorro to play.:roll:

thanks, will let you know how it goes!

Let him out and let them meet, im sure they will be just fine. Just be there at first for supervised free time together until you are happy they can be left unsupervised. Being a young cat he may try to play but im sure the bun will pout him in his place if he gets too boisterous.

Ive had many cats, a fair few feral/semi feral and all have been absolutely fine with the rabbits.

My house bun Phelix is a little lionhead/poss nethie cross, free range in the house at all times and plays with one of my cats who is 3 times his size and he even sleeps with the dog :shock: :lol:

Back