• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in need

D

Damo122

Admin - Sorry, also posted in rabbit welfare - please feel free to delete other thread.

Hi,

My neighbour’s son lives in residential care due to disability and she recently mentioned that the home had some rabbits. She had asked me to go and check on them as the staff didn’t seem to have much of a clue, and of course i said I would; but with one thing and another I never seemed to have time.

Today was her son’s birthday, and as I was driving her to the home I thought I’d drop in and check on things. Of course I now wish I'd done so earlier.

It transpires that the female had a litter about three weeks ago. The male was found dead shortly after, and the mother and 6 babies are currently living in a hutch approximately 2.5 foot by 1 foot.

I should point out that the home does have an exceptionally large garden, and there is a run, but this in another location, and I'm not clear how often the rabbits are taken out.

When I visited there was no hay or water in the cage, although there was a water bottle on the run which I moved across. I also made sure they had some hay before I left.

This is the second litter the mother has had in the past few months.

I'm hoping that I can improve things for these guys and am planning to offer some rabbit care sessions to the staff.

At this stage my priority is to get some new accommodation arranged, and I was wondering if anyone in the Hillingdon area might have an old hutch they're willing to donate? I know it’s a lot to ask, but I just can't afford to buy one for them myself right now.

Back