• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problems?

SIERRAS952.jpg
[/IMG]
SIERRAS945.jpg
[/IMG]

My netherland dwarf has been having some problems with his eyes. His eyes have been draining and then the liquid turns to a crust around his eye lids. He keeps scratching them and they turn bright pink. It looks exactly like when a human has pink eye.

I can't get an appointment at the vet until next week so I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be or what I can do.

One of my lionheads i believe has the same thing happening. The only difference is i don't think he is scratching it as i have not seen him do it and it doesn't look pink. I have checked for signs of myxi but usually the nose starts dripping but his hasn't and some days it's clearing up and others it is there. All i can think it is, is a bit of wind chill in his eyes. However i could be wrong.

I would suggest keeping the area around the eyes clean with some warm water on a piece of cotton wool. Just bathe them gently and maybe try getting some basic eye drops from the pet shop, beaphar do some good ones which I've used with guineas in the past, it just helps to flush the tear ducts gently and helps lubricate the eye to promote healing if there are any problems on the surface.

Keep an eye on his general health, inspect his nose for discharge and keep an eye on the colour of any eye discharge too. If he starts to show any other symptoms I'd push for a vet appointment or even to get a foot in the door book with the nurse for a health check and if it's serious they should push for you to see a vet! (Little cheeky foot in door trick I learnt!)

It could be an internal tooth growing upwards inside his jaw towards his eyes. You need to do an x-ray to check that

For the time being, to make the bun more comfy, there is natural tear drop you can buy at drug store. It's cheap, like $10 for a big pack, you drop 2 drops on his eye a few times a day until you can get a vet to check out his eye

make sure your vet is a rabbit savvy vet. Normal vet does not know much about rabbit, you have to call your vet and confirm he has a lot of experience on rabbits

Eyes

Hi,

Malcolm had the same problem last month which turned out to be conjunctivitis. Very easily treated with an ointment from the vet. I'd pop them along for a check up.

Damien

Back