• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella, advice please..Weight?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Also posted in Rabbit Chat..

When she was spayed the Vet said he could feel a build up of "poo" inside her.

He suggested a change of diet and plenty of hay..

Had her back other week, (dealing with another bun) weighed her, she weighed 2.15kg..

The following week, she fell ill, was just off her food, so i took her in, he couldnt pin anything to it so gave her an injection of Baytril and gave me some, to syringe into her - plus Bio-Lapis to keep adding to her water, he said he felt abuild up inside her and gave me some hay to try, an Oxbow brand..

At the same time we weighed her, she weighed 1.84kg, so that means she has lost alot of weight in a small space of time.

He didnt check her teeth, so back she went for a teeth check, he said they were okay

I am worried, as i feel weight is dropping off her and im getting no answers?

He suggested separating her from the group so i can monitor her poo's and wee's etc, but i dont really want to do this?

She is eating and happily sits munching on hay, she cant have lots of veg, as it seems to go straight through her. I feed her Excel and Soft Meadow Hay.

She just feels skinny.....

What would you do?

ETA - fed her alone this morning she finished the whole lot. I also kept checking her throughout the day, saw her sitting in the basket with Angelica munching hay and also caught her drinking as i changed the water..:)

We are also opting for the second opinion/new vet approach?

Last edited:
A second opinion is a good idea, they might be able to give you more answers.

She could have some tests done too such as x-rays and blood tests for kidney/liver function and EC. One of my rabbits lost about 300g over a few weeks last year despite eating normally. She had these tests done concious so she didn't need a GA. It turns out her weight loss was caused by EC and it has caused problems with her gut function too but so far we have managed to control it with panacur, and regular zantac helps with her gut.

I hope you manage find out what is wrong with Bella and that a different vet can do something to help.

Thanks for your reply.

I have updated the thread in rabbit chat - "whats wrong with her? Weightloss?

:)

Back