• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extremely lazy bun - how can I motivate?

Noah's Mummy

Young Bun
I have one extremely lazy rabbit. He eats and drinks as normal, nice bright eyes, fine coat but wants to sleep 24/7. He's an indoor bun and has his own pen (the door is left open all the time) but he won't budge! He's quite happy to spend his days drifting off to sleep. How can I get him to spend more time away from his cage?

has he got a partner? (if he is neutered obviously) that really brought teegra out of his shell as he would wander about with her and together they were more confident to explore they would chase each other too and spent a lot of time cuddling or playing tug of war with food :lol:

I have EXACTLY the same situation with my two. I'd quite like to see if anyone has any ideas too. They go crazy running around at about 11pm and again at about 6 in the morning but only for an hour at the most and then they just sit in their cage all day even though they dont have to.

Recently I've tried confining them to just the one room during the night and when I go out to try to get them more in the routine of running around when I'm awake. I've seen a small difference but not much so far.

I have one that likes to snooze most of the day and the other is on acid!

I have tried toys, toilet rolls, tunnels and neither of them are interested.

I think some bunnies are just naturally lazier than others!
Both of mine have free run of the downstairs during the day and the whole conservatory at night so plenty of run around time and I have to say that htey have a silly session a brekkie time until 10.30 and then another session at 10 o clock at night but then thats it! Sleeep time for the rest of the day!
From what I understand its pretty natural bunny behaviour
We do play with ours in the evening , both are trained to race through their tunnels for treats and they will jump for treats too.
They also love running up and down the stairs!

You need to give them a reason to run/move. They're not the sort of animal to do laps like a hamster :D :lol:

A treat ball for dry food is good. You can split the dry food up to a couple of meals to spread out the fun if you want.

Also make sure eating/sleeping/drinking etc. areas aren't all within reach so they have to travel between.

You can try games, Scamp loves being chased around the room it makes him go high speed and jump all over. Pretend your a rabbit and hop a bit ;)

Much of rabbits natural moving is travelling around eating sites so spread out the food too. More than one pile of hay or veggies hidden around the room so they need to go hunting... that sort of thing :D

Back