• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor vs outdoor?

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
When we lost Barney on Friday, I was being quite irrational as I was so upset and wanted to bring the other 3 back indoors to live. It seems that since we've put them outside, we've lost 3 buns in 7 or 8 months :cry: I don't know if they'd still be here had they stayed living inside.

They all love being outside and having more space, but I worry about them so much outside and it feels so much harder to keep track on them, as they go downhill so quickly. I just feel like I should have done more for my bridge bunnies :cry:

Im sure your not to blame for the loss of your Bridge Buns, dont put yourself down.

I have buns both outside and inside..Some prefer it outside and as you say that get more space, some prefer it inside.

I have some who would settle inside and some who wouldnt.

Im moving two of my attic-buns outside next year as i feel it would be better for them and my attic lol :lol:

x

I have two outdoor bunnies, and would never have indoor buns, as I just feel that outdoors, they get the space, fresh air and "natural living" that I would want for my bunnies. I check them regularly, so I feel fairly safe on that account.

Definitely better for your attic :lol:

Lionheadlover, I agree with the natural living bit. How often do you check on your buns?

Generally speaking I think bunnies are better off outside and prefer it. The fresh air is good for them and it's a natural environment.
We have Squidgy inside because he chose to be here! but the other 4 would be miserable inside. Bobby was a house bunny for a sort time, but he wasn't happy.

Definitely better for your attic :lol:

Lionheadlover, I agree with the natural living bit. How often do you check on your buns?

Yes..

I know you didnt ask me but, i clean, feed, water and hay my lot outside in the morning and then throughout the day, some are free range and the others take it in turns in runs!

Id say i check them like 6times during day

And then i peep out on a night time..:D

HS how can you tell which buns want to be inside or outside? I've just got my first indoor buns but Id be devastated if they were unhappy and wanted to be outside and I didn't know! What tell tale signs should I look out for?

Well, when Squidgy first came to us (he was abandoned, so don't know his history), he was in a terrible state, so I brought him inside for a nail trim and a general tidy up and he jumped straight up on the settee for a cuddle! When we put him outside in his run, he's very edgy and doesn't really like it.
When Bobby was inside he used to chew everything, and wee everywhere, but was ok when outside in the run.
Generally speaking, I think most bunnies are happiest outside, although I would never advocate having a single bunny outside.

Marsha hated it inside, so they live in a shed, bailey and alyssa seem happy and both have lived inside along time.

it depends on the bun x

teegs has always been indoors althuogh did take him outside a couple of times during the day he was ok for a bit munched on some grass but very got back in his carrier to go back, duchess was outdoor before i got her then became an indoor when i let her in the garden she didnt want to come out of the carrier really and as soon as i put them back in their room teegs happy flopped on the floor and duchess started binkying :lol: i prefer the closeness i get with my buns which i personally dont think I could get with outdoor buns (not saying indoor buns get closer just i personally know i wouldnt get as close to outdoor buns) nothing quite like chilling out watching some tv in the evening laying on my bed with a cute bun bun sitting on my lap having a nose rub :lol::love:

Ok so it depends basically on the buns behaviour when they are put in the 2 different environments and whether they are excessive chewers and poor toilet habits! Mine seem happy zooming around binkying and floping where ever! Fingers crossed I can get them toilet trained! I will definately try them in the garden next Spring to see how they react!

Yeah.

I am moving two of my housebuns outdoors next year for def, there just destroying the attic!

x

Mine destroyed every room they've been in, still have massive holes in the carpet now and had to replaster the kitchen walls :shock:

They love being outside, Mouse especially and Barney definitely was an outdoor bun. They do flop when they're inside as well, that's what makes me wonder. I can't see in the shed to see how often they flop in there tho. Getting some bunny cams soon so we'll be able to watch them all the time.

Mine destroyed every room they've been in, still have massive holes in the carpet now and had to replaster the kitchen walls :shock:
They love being outside, Mouse especially and Barney definitely was an outdoor bun. They do flop when they're inside as well, that's what makes me wonder. I can't see in the shed to see how often they flop in there tho. Getting some bunny cams soon so we'll be able to watch them all the time.

Oh wow..:shock: mine havent gone that far, there on wood so no chance of holes, they just poo and stomp it in :roll::lol:

They have chewed wires and the wood and manage to nearly escape at least 2-3times each night....sigh... in which they run riot, banging about, climbing around, fighting with chinchillas, teasing the guinea pig...chewing through bags of unopened food, pulling down the hay bag and peeing in it..:roll: list goes on..

Oh wow..:shock: mine havent gone that far, there on wood so no chance of holes, they just poo and stomp it in :roll::lol:

They have chewed wires and the wood and manage to nearly escape at least 2-3times each night....sigh... in which they run riot, banging about, climbing around, fighting with chinchillas, teasing the guinea pig...chewing through bags of unopened food, pulling down the hay bag and peeing in it..:roll: list goes on..

aww spoilsport they seem like they are having lots of fun :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mine were outside over the summer this year, and seemed happy out there, and I think the natural environment is healthier. Indoors they have their own room so they have a similar amount of space whether indoors or out, Elsie particularly HATES being confined to anything. The only reason they were brought back in as we have had a lot of foxes visiting on a regular basis. I want to put them back out when it gets warmer next year, but foxes are my concern. Since they were brought back in Jess has become a real snuggle bun and is so easy to pick up now, so I'm concerned that she actually hated it outside. I think a secure outdoor home would be best :)

Back