• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Piggies

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Just out of interest..... does anyone on here keep rabbits and guineas together as bonded pairs, trios etc....

Still doing my research for when fidget goes outside in the summer as to what friend to get her, looks like it will def be a neutered boy rabbit but heard a lot of conflicting stories about buns and pigs so was wondering if anyone did this

:wave: A few people do have them mixed (my uncle for one :roll:) but I wouldn't recommend it. I hear people say 'I've kept them together for years and never had a problem' to which I would respond 'plenty of people smoke for years without a problem too, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea' :)

Main points:

Rabbits can naturally carry a bacteria called bordatella which can kill guinea pigs

They have different dietary needs

They are from different continents and don't communicate in the same way - each is generally happier with a companion of its own kind whose body language and methods of communication it understands

Rabbits can harass and bully guinea pigs, including humping them (including dominance so can happen with neutered ones too) which can cause serious injuries to a piggie

Even if they 'love' each other, the natural fear reaction of a rabbit is to stamp and bolt - if a piggie happens to get in the way when a rabbit is spooked, they can easily get their backs broken :cry:

I had a rabbit with a guinea pig in the past, i eventually split from advice on here and from the horrific stories...:(

The rabbit was so quiet, he is now bonded with 3other rabbits, he behaves more like a rabbit now. It was the best thing i ever did! :D

I believe they should be paired up with there own kinds.

I had a rabbit with a guinea pig in the past, i eventually split from advice on here and from the horrific stories...:(

The rabbit was so quiet, he is now bonded with 3other rabbits, he behaves more like a rabbit now. It was the best thing i ever did! :D

I believe they should be paired up with there own kinds.

This happened to me also. Toffee used to be such a quiet little thing, but he's now got a bad influence in his life (Ghostie) and the two bandits run riot!

i let my rabbit have a wee 10 min play with my guineas on the living room floor wich normally consists of them having a good lick of each other then i put the guineas back in and let honey have some fun, i wudnt leave them together or house them together due to info on here and both my guineas are alot older than honey!:D

Well, fidget does go in the run with the guineas but its 6x4 ft so they have plenty of room but i don't think i would consider bonding her with one

To be honest I don't see what's different about 'only' letting them play together...ok it makes the diet less of an issue, but they still don't understand each other and more importantly it still puts the piggie at risk of Bordatella, being trodden on and injured by a startled bunny and being harrassed by a bunny :?

I used to, but no longer do. The bunnies and piggies never interacted, and the pigs were so dirty, whereas the bunnies like to be clean, and I didn't think it fair on either.
So no, I wouldn't!

Back