• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella - Advice? Second opinion?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
When she was spayed the Vet said he could feel a build up of "poo" inside her.

He suggested a change of diet and plenty of hay..

Had her back other week, (dealing with another bun) weighed her, she weighed 2.15kg..

The following week, she fell ill, was just off her food, so i took her in, he couldnt pin anything to it so gave her an injection of Baytril and gave me some, to syringe into her - plus Bio-Lapis to keep adding to her water, he said he felt abuild up inside her and gave me some hay to try, an Oxbow brand..

At the same time we weighed her, she weighed 1.84kg, so that means she has lost alot of weight in a small space of time.

He didnt check her teeth, so back she went for a teeth check, he said they were okay :?

I am worried, as i feel weight is dropping off her and im getting no answers?

He suggested separating her from the group so i can monitor her poo's and wee's etc, but i dont really want to do this?

She is eating and happily sits munching on hay, she cant have lots of veg, as it seems to go straight through her. I feed her Excel and Soft Meadow Hay.

She just feels skinny.....

What would you do?

:?

Gregory lost 500g in a week a coupel of months ago and to build him back up I started feeding oats and a littl epiece of banana each day on top of extra pellets. But your situation is much different as she is in a bonded group.

I can see why you don't want to separate her, but that seems like quite a big weight loss and they can starve quickly. Maybe try giving her food to build her up for a week then take her back to be reweighed to see if she is putting on, then decide? When you took her back did he say the build up of poo had gone?

Gregory lost 500g in a week a coupel of months ago and to build him back up I started feeding oats and a littl epiece of banana each day on top of extra pellets. But your situation is much different as she is in a bonded group.

I can see why you don't want to separate her, but that seems like quite a big weight loss and they can starve quickly. Maybe try giving her food to build her up for a week then take her back to be reweighed to see if she is putting on, then decide? When you took her back did he say the build up of poo had gone?

No still there, thing thats gets me is, well i dont think its normal so correct me if im wrong...but the build up of poo shouldnt be happening right?

Me and the OH have been commenting on her weigh and how she feels to be all bones..

Oats? Maybe i could feed her out of the group, such as 10mins away from them so i know for def she is eating...

i would feed her out of the group nat. i would also be inclined to take her to the vets again

im going offline now, text me x

I'd be worried about the build up of poo - I think you're right it shouldn't be there. Think a revisit to teh vets might be in order. Otherwise, just feeding up will be a mistak eas surely it will all build up more and more?

Really hope she is ok x

I'd be worried about the build up of poo - I think you're right it shouldn't be there. Think a revisit to teh vets might be in order. Otherwise, just feeding up will be a mistak eas surely it will all build up more and more?

Really hope she is ok x

Thats what im thinking...

Thing is when i go to Vets i dont seem to get any answers, he just gives her Baytril and Bio Lapis for her water...and says plenty of hay...:?

Sometimes I go to the vet and feel like I'm fussing over nothing - I worry about whether I should ask certain things! But at the end of the day, I don't really cre what the vet think sof me, I care that my bunnies are ok so don't feel bad about going back/asking to see someone else/going elsewhere!

Thats what im thinking...

Thing is when i go to Vets i dont seem to get any answers, he just gives her Baytril and Bio Lapis for her water...and says plenty of hay...:?

Why is he giving baytril for something he says is potentially a blockage...She wouldn't need baytril for that.

I would be inclined to seek a second opinion from a different vet to be honest. If she is feeling thin and you have a gut feeling that something isn't right then follow it up. Thumper was losing weight and looking out of condition, even though he was eating normally. It was an indication that something else was wrong.

Sometimes I go to the vet and feel like I'm fussing over nothing - I worry about whether I should ask certain things! But at the end of the day, I don't really cre what the vet think sof me, I care that my bunnies are ok so don't feel bad about going back/asking to see someone else/going elsewhere!

Oh believe me i will say what i think lol

Its just been back 3times now, and come away none the wiser...

I was also concerned that he didnt check her teeth, which resulted in me going back and then i dont know whether he checked them prop and his lack of concern in her weight loss?

:?

Why is he giving baytril for something he says is potentially a blockage...She wouldn't need baytril for that.

I would be inclined to seek a second opinion from a different vet to be honest. If she is feeling thin and you have a gut feeling that something isn't right then follow it up. Thumper was losing weight and looking out of condition, even though he was eating normally. It was an indication that something else was wrong.

Thats what i said, along with others from the forum.

Yeah i think i will, as im sure theres something that we could help her with.

I will get searching..

As for now, whats feeding Oats about? :oops:

x

:wave: this has happened to bif but not so much weight loss..one vet mistook it for a mass ie cancer...a second opinion saved her life!

if i were you im afraid you are really going to have to seperate her so you can monitor eating drinking pooping and weeing. Its essential that you do this as sehs obviously very ill with it..and stress leads to a knock on effect and she could end up with other problems..bif always gets mites infestation when shes at her worst.

you must get some protexin fibreplex....its available from the vets or online at pet pahrmacies....no precription required.

you need t give her two tubes in a row..this is full of probiotics and fibre..essential. i also gave bif protexin bio lapis in some water or in a small amount of water and gave it to her as an isotonic solution..kept her going and bucked her up a wee bit.

does she seem ravenous at the fod bowlbut only ate a little? is she eating a huge amount of hay tho....if shes eating..a bit.its not enough.
have you panacured her too?

stop all pelelts and feed bio lapis and hay for at least 48hrs but only under the supervision of the vet as shes lost so much weight. this is probably cos shes so full of poo her appetite isnt much good..is she drinking ok?

id ask the vet to use a gag and examine her teeth...its the only way to see the back ones..somebuns can only have it done under sedation tho.

the bacteria in her gut is obviously out of sync.

give bio lpais on food or in drink everyday for at lteast three weeks,,thats what our old vet used to make me do for bif.
bifs always got tum probs but when shes very stressed etc her gut slows down and she becomes stuffed with poo and doesnt eat well is angry or very subdued.
there are many things that can cause this weight loss tho..it must be eradicated by the vet testing her blood etc. in case its kidney function probs for example.

inssist the vet see her again or another vet there see ehr asap as weight loss in buns is very dangerous that fast.

im no expert but thatys what ive been thru with mine in the past..others here are way moreexperineced and i hopethat they will be able to help you. xx

Thats what i said, along with others from the forum.

Yeah i think i will, as im sure theres something that we could help her with.

I will get searching..

As for now, whats feeding Oats about? :oops:

x

Some people don't like feeding oats, but it can help put weight on to those who need. A teaspoon of rolled oats every day might be beneficial. I've always fed them with no problem. I would just be wary giving a bun with a suspected blockage oats, probably vets to have her abdomen examined again. Is your vet rabbit savvy... (sorry my question mark key doesn't work :lol:). If she had a suspected blockage and it had been going on for some time she should be x-rayed.
x

Well, I followed advice on here and fed Gregory a couple of teaspoons of cooled pprridge each day (just noraml rolled oats, mixed with boiling water then cooled) - he put he weight back on really quickly.

If putting weight on is what you wnat then go for it - it was lovely feeding him it off the spoon too and he loves it!

But......not sure whether it's a good idea or not cos of the blockage....hopefully someone will know better than me? I just wonder if feeding her up when she is blocked is the best idea?

Some people don't like feeding oats, but it can help put weight on to those who need. A teaspoon of rolled oats every day might be beneficial. I've always fed them with no problem. I would just be wary giving a bun with a suspected blockage oats, probably vets to have her abdomen examined again. Is your vet rabbit savvy... (sorry my question mark key doesn't work :lol:). If she had a suspected blockage and it had been going on for some time she should be x-rayed.
x

Crossed posts there! :D

:wave: this has happened to bif but not so much weight loss..one vet mistook it for a mass ie cancer...a second opinion saved her life!

if i were you im afraid you are really going to have to seperate her so you can monitor eating drinking pooping and weeing. Its essential that you do this as sehs obviously very ill with it..and stress leads to a knock on effect and she could end up with other problems..bif always gets mites infestation when shes at her worst.

you must get some protexin fibreplex....its available from the vets or online at pet pahrmacies....no precription required.

you need t give her two tubes in a row..this is full of probiotics and fibre..essential. i also gave bif protexin bio lapis in some water or in a small amount of water and gave it to her as an isotonic solution..kept her going and bucked her up a wee bit.

does she seem ravenous at the fod bowlbut only ate a little? is she eating a huge amount of hay tho....if shes eating..a bit.its not enough.
have you panacured her too?

stop all pelelts and feed bio lapis and hay for at least 48hrs but only under the supervision of the vet as shes lost so much weight. this is probably cos shes so full of poo her appetite isnt much good..is she drinking ok?

id ask the vet to use a gag and examine her teeth...its the only way to see the back ones..somebuns can only have it done under sedation tho.

the bacteria in her gut is obviously out of sync.

give bio lpais on food or in drink everyday for at lteast three weeks,,thats what our old vet used to make me do for bif.
bifs always got tum probs but when shes very stressed etc her gut slows down and she becomes stuffed with poo and doesnt eat well is angry or very subdued.
there are many things that can cause this weight loss tho..it must be eradicated by the vet testing her blood etc. in case its kidney function probs for example.

inssist the vet see her again or another vet there see ehr asap as weight loss in buns is very dangerous that fast.

im no expert but thatys what ive been thru with mine in the past..others here are way moreexperineced and i hopethat they will be able to help you. xx

Great advice....I would just definitely confirm that there is an impaction before stopping pellets....I only say that because your vets advice has been a little questionable up to now....and it may be that she doesn't have a blockage at all!

x

He feels her tummy and says he can feel poo, not hard, not soft but maybe runny?

He also took her temp which was lower than normal, but not alarming.

He did suggest doing some bloods, she if she didnt improve.

I just dont seem to be getting answers from him...

He feels her tummy and says he can feel poo, not hard, not soft but maybe runny?

He also took her temp which was lower than normal, but not alarming.

He did suggest doing some bloods, she if she didn't improve.

I just dont seem to be getting answers from him...

How on earth could he feel her poo if he says it is maybe runny...:lol: Sorry but if that's what he said it doesn't make sense. Usually an impaction is a solid mass, and if that were the case he should have her on fluids and should have advised you to withdraw pellets.

I would suspect that if he wants to do bloods he is possibly testing her kidneys, or obviously for an infection. I would err on the side of caution and start her on some panacur!

Has she had anything happen to frighten her, any changes that might have stressed her etc....

Back