• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feel awful, just refused someone from adopting from me

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
I feel so bad:cry::cry: ive just had to refuse to rehome to someone i know,:roll:
If she has any sense she,ll know my reasons,doesnt make me feel any better tho:cry: i hate upsetting people:oops:, I just hope she gets my message and doesnt turn up at my house as planned,:oops: confrontation and me dont go well together:roll:

now you see i dont mind doing the talking and saying yes or no as at the end of the day you are doing it for the wefare of the animal not for the person who wants them first, the animal has been entrusted to you to find them the right home i wouldnt feel bad at all, if you feel its not right then its not right, if they cant see that then more fool them,

Don;t feel awful - if it's someone you know then hopefully they will respect your decision and if applicable, will take steps to change whatever has made you say no so that you can rehome to them. Areia is right, you have to put the welfare of the animals first!

she,s not happy, ive just received a text saying im being very silly:shock: not rehoming to her,and making out im in the wrong:?

It is hard to refuse someone a bun when you know them, but I always feel ok if my reasons are valid. As you, the reasons would always be the best welfare of the rabbits, so your conscience can't argue with you over that.

No matter what your reasons you are absolutely right to refuse to rehome if you are unsure about anything. You would always be worrying otherwise. If she is a good friend I am sure she will understand.

:?Is it a definate no..or are there things she could improve and then adopt?
May make things better for you to deal with her if you can make suggestions for improving her situation

did you explain to her how she could improve her set up (Im assuming its that) and that you would rehome once improved,

sorry never had it done and don't know the process.

Is this perchance the person we were discussing the other day? If it is, then I think you have made the right decision. ;)

it's hard. I had a friend who really wanted to get some rabbits and much as I like him I know he has a real habbit of taking up a new hobby & going crazy about it for a few months then it starts to gather dust in the attic. In the last 2 years it has been fishing, planes, surfing and winsurfing and he's now into photography....he's still kept up the planes so I now have to suffer lots of boring airshow photos :roll::roll: We had a long chat about rabbits being a lifetime commitment, emphasised the cost & showed him my chewed wires/curtains/carpet, showed him how bit a six foot hutch and run was (most of his garden) and thankfully he dropped the idea without him getting to the trying to adopt phase. I'm glad he didn't because there would be no reason I could give to fat fluffs to say don't let him adopt other than gut instinct but I still think we would have said no if he'd have come to us.

she,s not happy, ive just received a text saying im being very silly:shock: not rehoming to her,and making out im in the wrong:?

It's hard to be diplomatic with a bully like that. But what does she think harassing you is going to achieve, that you're going to give in and give her a rabbit? If she was fit to have a rescue bunny she'd be texting you to ask what she could do to improve her chances rather than being so up herself.

I'd hide behind the sofa if she calls round - she sounds a bit scary. ;) :lol:

If you believe you made the right decision then you shouldn't feel bad as there is some people who I know personally and wouldn't let them adopt any of my rescues and I have told them that and the reasons why:D

Personally I think its fantastic that you have stood by your principles. I know when my bunny had unexpected babies (long story), I vetted the prospective owners and had to turn down a couple of people coz they were only getting a bunny for the kids etc etc and thats just wrong, plus I just know that Im the type of person who would worry that the bunny wasnt being treated right. They werent difficult decisions to reach, just difficult to deliver, I ended up keeping some of the bunnies myself as I wasnt happy about handing them over as I was unsure of some peoples committment etc. I know when I started to keep bunnies, I didnt think that they would be cheap, but Ive been amazed how expensive they can be (particularly when you want to spoil them), and how much of a worry they are, but wouldnt swop them for the world. I only wish that there was more people like you with a bunny conscience, as then they wouldnt be lots of poor little critters stuck in terrible conditions, unloved and ignored. So please dont feel bad, you did the right thing and its terrible that this person couldnt accept the decision, but Im down right sure that the bunny they could have got is blessing your cotton socks.

now you see i dont mind doing the talking and saying yes or no as at the end of the day you are doing it for the wefare of the animal not for the person who wants them first, the animal has been entrusted to you to find them the right home i wouldnt feel bad at all, if you feel its not right then its not right, if they cant see that then more fool them,

Totally agree with you.

I don't know the background to this story but if it helps, I'm pretty sure you'd be feeling worse than you are now if you HAD rehomed bunnies to this individual. If they are any kind of friend, they'll understand. If they don't understand, they're not worth having as a friend IMO. Well done for believing in yourself under difficult circumstances.

Back