• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to blood sample a rabbit.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering how your vets blood sample rabbits. Our vets tried to sample Kizzy, but didn't manage, partially because she is a small rabbit and because she is underweight and dehydrated.
They were very apologetic as she was shaved on the leg, the ear and the neck. They said it would be a struggle, especially with a doe with a big dewlap (as Kizzy has), and the veins are so small.
How do your vets manage and do they manage every time?

Mine usually take blood from the neck.
When hector had blood taken on Monday they really struggled to get any out but managed just under 2ml. This was probably caused by his chronic dehydration from his liver failure :( He also weighed only 1.2kg :(

Thanks, I don't think mine are often asked to blood sample rabbits, most people don't want to spend the money.:(
They did manage to sample Smokey from his ear, but only got a small amount. I think Kizzy was a problem for them as the jugular kept disappearing, perhaps they will manage once she goes in for her op- see how positive I sound.:?
Do your vets normally sedate or what, I assume Kizzy was sedated for this and her x-rays, but I didn't think to ask, it was all go when I went to pick her up and both us and they were thinking about the puppies and mum. We ended up helping revive 4 pups while mum was stitched up after a ceaserarian. It was facinating!

Hi,
I nurse in a vets and sometimes it is difficult to get a vein in a rabbit, esp if they are small/ dehydrated/ have dew lap. We mostly go for the jugular vein in the neck and this is how ive blood sampled my two buns in the past. However, in a female ('cos of dewlap) it can be difficult so its not your vet being rubbish or anything like that! Ear and leg veins are particularly small and therefore harder to find with the needle and the vein also 'blows' more easily in a small vein (by this i mean that when the needle or catheter enters the vein, the vein blows up really big and the blood leaks out, meaning the vein then usually cant be used and needs time to heal before you can attempt to get another sample)

Hi, thanks. I wasn't thinking my vets were rubbish, I have complete faith in them, in that they will alway do their best.:D
I was just wondering if there was an easier way to suggest to them, I work in the small branch, with one vet and me-so I have to help with cat and dog blood samples, as well as PTS.:(, so I know how easy it can be to blow a vein.
But the fact is they don't often get practice for that sort of thing as many people don't want to bother. On a good note though, more and more are vaccinating, worming and neutering their buns. I have to admit though, mine are often the first time they try a new treatment, as I'll always give it a go if there are no other options left.

Last edited:
Hi, im the same. Ive worked in a few practices now and people often dont want to spend money on rabbits, they think 'its only a rabbit' - i love my buns, as im sure everyone else on here does and would try anything if it gave them a chance. I always wish people would try to do more for their rabbits. We dont get massive of chances to do things with bunnies, ive learnt loads from my own rabbits really, rather than what comes through the door. I try to ocnvince people to get rabbit insurance so that money is not an issue. My little boy has cost around £1400 in just under a year - all paid for cos he's insured, would not have afforded that myself! I think jugular is the easiest and quickest way to get blood from a bun. Good luck with yours!! :)

My vet takes blood from the ear, but doesn't take it with a syringe as he said that frequently causes the vein to collapse. Instead he breaks the needle off, puts that into the vein and then just catches the blood as it drips out.

Done it a couple of times with one of my buns and it works well, though does get a bit messy :D

Usually the ear vein will produce a sample, although it may need a bit of pumping. I've also had the leg vein used but that wasn't too successful and the rabbit got fed up and kicked the needle out before the vet had enough to do all the tests she first planned. It turned out the ear vein had given enough to show the rabbit was in liver failure anyway:(

Dehydration makes it harder of course.

Sedation opens up a few more options, such as the jugular.

You can get blood from the ear - it just takes patience to prevent the blood vessel from collapsing. Granted it is much easier in larger breeds than smaller but it can be done.

Back