• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can i put dried grass in?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
My bunny room gets so very very messy!! I have 2 large underbed storage boxes as litter trays with hay in and also a hanging basket attached to the wall above each litter tray with more hay in. I then have various balls/toilet rolls with hay in too. However my lot love dried grass and since ive been giving it to them daily their poos have been fab and ive had no incidences of tummy probs or stopping eating etc so want to continue. Currently i give the two bowls morning and night. They go nuts for it and its always all gone, however one or more of them always wee all round the area the bowls are in and end up in a right mess. I didnt give them grass last night and went in today to a clean floor apart from a couple of poos. I dont know what else i can put the grass in to put above/next to a litter tray to try catch the stray wees. Anyone got any ideas? It would just fall through the hanging baskets i currently use. :?

maybe pile it up in a corner of a litter tray on top of the hay for them? theyll eat the hay to get at it too :D

thing is certain ones have a good digging session in the trays so grass will end up mixed with Megazorb and i worry they'll each something they shouldnt :roll:

i just sprinkle things like that over the litter tray too :)

ETS: posted same time how about an empty tray with just alayer of paper and grass on top?

thing is certain ones have a good digging session in the trays so grass will end up mixed with Megazorb and i worry they'll each something they shouldnt :roll:

ok try a tray with just newpaper and hay.. ive not even noticed i dont use megazorb anymore, apart from the fact pearl doesnt dig it all out over the floor :lol::lol:

Sometimes you just can't think of the simplest solutions! :oops::oops: Thanks Abi and Donna.. will put a 3rd tray in with just newspaper and bowl of grass and see what happens.. at least it will be easier to tidy up rather than what i keep getting! I have a couple extra trays somewhere :D

Donna.. mine dig up the megazorb all the time and get covered in it. Do you find newspaper works as well? Ive always used a litter with hay on top.

I put mine in here which is OK as long as she doesn't tip it up.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Gif...+Ones.139/Seagrass+and+Willow+Basket.139.html

aawww thats so cute! I used to use a little wicker type tray (was actually a cd holder) but Simba used to just get in it :roll: Fifi is in to tipping things up too so thanks for the idea but dont think i'll try that! In fact im sure i got them that basket last year and it lasted about a week before it had been eaten! :shock::lol:

Sometimes you just can't think of the simplest solutions! :oops::oops: Thanks Abi and Donna.. will put a 3rd tray in with just newspaper and bowl of grass and see what happens.. at least it will be easier to tidy up rather than what i keep getting! I have a couple extra trays somewhere :D

Donna.. mine dig up the megazorb all the time and get covered in it. Do you find newspaper works as well? Ive always used a litter with hay on top.

well the house doesnt smell, and i do use more hay than i used to.. but if i clean them out every other day the newspaper does the job really well... the smell of bunny pee when cleaning them turns your stomach but amazingly you only smell it when tipping out into the bin bag... i think litter is a total waste of money tbh :D

eta - pearl doesnt have pee stained feet neither which i did worry about when i stopped using litter, but a nice thick layer of hay keeps the moisture in the bottom soaked in the newspaper... if they was standin in thier own pee i would have kept on with the megazorb, well chuffed i dont have to.. whoop whooop :lol:

Last edited:
I find the wooden cat litter pellets really good for litter. Would that be any better?

Line the hanging basic with chicken wire/finner mesh :) You can get some largeish bird feeders for peanuts/fat balls etc that have finner mesh already too. Or stick it in a card box with holes cut out (more fun but might get messy :lol: )

i just sprinkle it in with their hay in a hay rack. Makes them more interested in the hay and keeps them busy trying to find the bits of dried grass.

I use fat block bird feeders to put dried grass in, they're only small which means filling up often but it tend to keep most of the mess to a minimum

And only 99p from Wilkinsons :)

Back