• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding attempt, grieving Nicholas vs Hunny & Mustard

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

After much thought, and considering how Hunny & Mustard were so caring with Nick through the partition last night, we decided to bring them all in and try bonding tonight.

They started ok, until they had eaten the pellets I hid in the hay. Then Nicholas jumped on Hunny. Then Mustard started to fight with him. They all locked teeth into eachother and we had to separate them.

Stef had a long cuddle with Nick, then we let him wander around the lounge for a while till he settled. But, as soon as he saw the other 2 buns, he went over and sat by them with the indoor run separating them.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I dont want to stress him anymore than he already is. I'm also REALLY paranoid about letting them all stay outside tonight, as there will be loads more fireworks again.

What are the chances I can introduce him to the kitten safely and keep him indoors with us? I've seen buns and cats get along on here before, Zorro is 14 weeks, Nick is 2½. Should I carry on bonding, my first bonding attempt was easy, they fell in love at first sight and never fought.

I'm stuck! Help!

Ok,

So far... Hunny and Mustard have gone back outside. Nicholas is in the dog cage in the lounge that Carmen the Seal Rex was in until this morning.

Funnily enough, Zorro and Nicholas seem to be tolerating each other quite well. They have both sniffed each other through the bars, and Nick has flopped down on the blanket now, and Zorro has settled down on the cardboard next to him.:shock:

I wonder.... :rolleyes:

I do think he would be best with company of his own kind.

Then there's always Miffy. She is fostered out in Birmingham with my sister-in-law. She was due to come back and join Nick, Maggie, Hunny and Mustard when they were bonded. But, I could also try bonding her with Nick. But would that upset Hunny and Mustard, as he'd go back to Birmingham to stay with Miffy till next summer and they'd lose their next-door neighbour.

you mentioned Miffy, why would Nick have to go to Birmingham until the summer? Could Miffy not join him?

you mentioned Miffy, why would Nick have to go to Birmingham until the summer? Could Miffy not join him?

You HAVE been paying attention! Thanks for your reply.

We have though long and hard about this. Miffy is in Birmingham with my sister in law. She lives in the States normally, but is with my MIL in Bournville for a year. As a child she had a rabbit that lives into its early teens, and when she arrived in the UK, I was 'given' an unwanted pet (dumped on me in a terrible state :censored:). My nephew wanted a pet while they were here, so we arranged that she would look after Miffy until I could bond her into the group.

Now, my SIL is a brilliant pet owner, she really loves Miffy. However, Nicholas is VERY fussy about his routine and Miffy is not. At all. His original owners nearly starved him to death, so I have to be meticulous about feeding times or I 'get one in the ankle'!:roll:

My nephew adores Miffy, so I would never dream of taking her away before he goes home. So, again, we are back to three buns. :?

I know its horrid when you really want advice and noone gives anything. I did post on the other thread too.

Could you not try bonding without seperating them? I know as a responsible owner you have to do what is best, but to bond the buns they need to sort out amongst themselves who is top dog, so to speak (teaching granny to suck eggs ), as horrid as it is.

I know when bonding Charlie and Autumn last weekend they were very vocal and fighting, jumping in the air, chasing each other, fur pulling etc, and I did think I was doing the wrong thing, but stuck with it.

I am assuming everyone is neutered, as hormones have a really big part to play. im still going out to find clumps of Charlie fur, as she is soooo hormonal at the minute, so she is booked in for three weeks time for her neuter (he already is neutered)

I know its horrid when you really want advice and noone gives anything. I did post on the other thread too.

Could you not try bonding without seperating them? I know as a responsible owner you have to do what is best, but to bond the buns they need to sort out amongst themselves who is top dog, so to speak (teaching granny to suck eggs ), as horrid as it is.

I know when bonding Charlie and Autumn last weekend they were very vocal and fighting, jumping in the air, chasing each other, fur pulling etc, and I did think I was doing the wrong thing, but stuck with it.

I am assuming everyone is neutered, as hormones have a really big part to play. im still going out to find clumps of Charlie fur, as she is soooo hormonal at the minute, so she is booked in for three weeks time for her neuter (he already is neutered)

Thanks

Yep, they are all neutered. We tried bonding the four last summer, when Nicholas and Maggie came from Tree. I stuck with it for about a week and had to separate them when the boys needed vets attention for nasty injuries they'd given each other.

I had bonded Hunny and Mustard myself, it was love at first sight for them - no trouble whatsoever. I have followed the rules to the letter, small neutral area to bond, nothing to claim and fight over, etc, but they lock their teeth into eachother and really go.

After finding Mags yesterday, I cant bear the thought of going back to the vet with another one at the mo, even for a scratch. It's going to be hard enough taking 4 for the VHD in a couple of weeks.

Back