• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please Poorly Bunny

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Hi my bunny busta who is a little under a year old and has been neutered, doesnt appear to be himself. He ate his breakfast fine and a bit of carrot at about lunchtime, however, now, he just seems to be throwing himself down in his run, he's not grinding his teeth or anything, but is not running round like he normally does. He does seem to be pooping but not as much as normal and they are a little softer than the usual pellets, but he wont eat, Ive tried to tempt him but he just turns his face away, any ideas what seems to be wrong and what can I do about it.

Hi my bunny busta who is a little under a year old and has been neutered, doesnt appear to be himself. He ate his breakfast fine and a bit of carrot at about lunchtime, however, now, he just seems to be throwing himself down in his run, he's not grinding his teeth or anything, but is not running round like he normally does. He does seem to be pooping but not as much as normal and they are a little softer than the usual pellets, but he wont eat, Ive tried to tempt him but he just turns his face away, any ideas what seems to be wrong and what can I do about it.

It sounds as though he has tummy pain. You need to call your Vet as he will require treatment.
I would bring him indoors and make sure he is warm. A bun in pain cant maintain body temperature. Try to tempt him to drink. Fluids are very important.

Good luck and please keep us posted

As Jane says, get him to the vet asap. One of my buns throws himself around if in pain and does not grind teeth. Each time it has meant he needed vetinary care quickly.

Hi, took Busta to the emergency vets, the vet gave him a really good look over, checked his teeth and throat too, said that apart from bustas tummy being a bit gassy, there didnt seem to be anything obviously wrong. He then gave Busta a painkilling injection and another injection to get his guts moving. The vet also gave me some metoclopmide, zantac and fibreplex to administer to him 3 times a day and some supreme rabbit recovery to syringe fed him. Got him home and syringe fed him a bit of the recovery he didnt take an awful lot but I tried again a bit later and he took some more and generally thats what I did over the evening. Gave him his medication before going to bed, and i tempted him with some spring greens, he ate a little bit. Got up this morning and he's a lot brighter he ate some more greens and a handful of pellets, he's still a little on the quiet side, but not as quiet as he was. Plus he gave me a nip when I was giving him his medication, so he's definately feeling abit more like his normal feisty self. Anyway thanks for the advice and guidance etc, I was really worried and was doddering about whether to take him to the vets as he had only been off is food etc for a short space of time, but the vet said that I did the right thing in taking him in immediately as they go down hill so fast, so again thanks for the push in the right direction, you've been stars. :p

They most certainly are a worry foofy, Bustas improved all day and was really interested when I put his tea in tonight. So I might get some sleep tonight, only got to worry about tutti now as she's going in for a spay on friday and Im dreading it.

Back