• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I was impressed

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Someone that adopted a pair of bunnies from me had to get them neutered this week. As she was nearer to Birmingham I asked Birmingham rspca hospital to do them which they did.

She called today as she couldn't get through yesterday (not impresssed by that part) so she called me to help. I called through and found out that they may be ready to go later today.

The reason they keep them in is because the won't let them go until they have seen them eat, wee and poo. I was impressed by that as I have not come across any vets in this area that will do that. It would be nice if other vets would do this as well as I think it would avoid a lot of problems post neuter.

i had no idea that wasn't standard :shock::shock:

i agree, it should definitely be common practise everywhere....my vets never let me have a bun back after any GA until its eating etc.

I see your point, but in many cases, is it not more conducive for the rabbit to be back in a familiar surrounding with the treats and things it needs to feel comfortable?

When we've put a rabbit in for neutering, in a couple of cases it's been during the night that the poos have presented. If kept in a cage at the vets would it not be more stressful?

Alvin was done at about 9am in the morning and they didnt let him come home until after 6pm when they were sure he was ok... i was offered for him to stay in the night before when he went for his pre op check so i assume had there been complications they would not of let him come home until he was eating and pooping :D

My vet wont let my buns come home until theyre eatking & pooing. Munch had the poor vet nurse outside in the rain because all he would eat were dandelion leaves :lol:

I see your point, but in many cases, is it not more conducive for the rabbit to be back in a familiar surrounding with the treats and things it needs to feel comfortable?

When we've put a rabbit in for neutering, in a couple of cases it's been during the night that the poos have presented. If kept in a cage at the vets would it not be more stressful?
My vets said they wanted to see them eat but they were just too scared whilst they were at the vets for them to eat. Not sure if it's better for them to be at home in a familiar place or at the vets.

it is good in some cases but not all.... arthur ate while at teh vets litrally ate everything but wouldnt poop dora gets extreamly anxious away from "her " surroundings(she is quite territorial as well) and as they went in together she wouldnt stop stressing adn vets felt it best for me to have them home..but they do know isleep with the bunnys the first night and sometimes the second night after an op so i guess it depends on how the buns react i agree many owners dont have the time to monitor buns after op so keeping them in may be better overall xxx

our local vets have a similar policy but they don't keep the buns in overnight. They are open until 10:00 in the morning and then closed until 4:00 whilst they do the ops You can phone after 4:00 to check the status of your bun and collect them any time after 5:00 assuming all goes well. They then offer a free check up & also tell you what to watch out for. I prefer this as I would have to take a moning off work to collect them if kept in over night & they would have to be in the vets for nearly 24 hours. As long as they are eating, pooing and weeing I'd rather have them home with me.

To a certain extent I also think it depends how well they know you - my vets know me well enough now to be confident that I can tell the difference between normal post-op behaviour and something that needs their input, so they're generally happy to leave it to me to decide whether and when I need to go back. But I do think it's good that vets are becoming more aware of the importance of getting guts working and erring on the side of caution with owners they don't know!

Our vets won't let them out until they have seen them eat, poo and wee unless they know you are experienced with rabbits:D

I think thats really good. It would be better if our vets were like that round here :) So many bunnies end up going back because of not eating/pooing etc :( Its stressful for them to be out in the cold, car journeys etc. I think all vets should do the same :D

I do agree about the point that if you are experienced it may not be necessary to do it, but for the more inexperienced people I think it's a good idea.

I take onboard that some may be too nervous to eat elsewhere than home, not sure how you would know that pre op though :?

Our vets send rabbits home after the ops, they are not a hospital, and although they check the rabbits overnight there is nobody on the premises all night. They are told that if the rabbit hasn't eaten or pooped by morning to take it back in.
Personally, I would rather have any of my animals home, if at all possible, than have them in the vets overnight without constant supervision. I would even be on the verge of asking to have something home even if it was on a drip.
Although I'm pretty sure the vets would be very vigilant, if they are called out to an emergency out of surgery problem, they cannot be also be at the practice. The second on call vet would come in but if they are also called out, they can only check the animals afterwards.

My vet does that, too. I got the distinct feeling in the few hours they had Freddie they had hardly stopped talking to him/playing with him, either, as they kept saying what a lot of personality he has and how great he is (true!)

Probably another good reason to find a rabbit savvy vet (I'm not sure my dog's vet would have a clue about buns).:D

Back