• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

confirm on a breed please

celticbuns

Young Bun
Its been a while since i've been here, helping out with a g/f's cavies and tending to my own little rabbit world, i'm a proud owner of 26 rabbits ( kinda my own little sanctuary) self funded and a hole lot of time consumption, today a woman stopped by my home to ask if i take in local rabbits ( some not so local) as she had a flemish giant ( this is a whole new world to me as i pretty much have lops, dutch/rex etc) after hours of research on the net i have now aquired her ( the womans children are terrified ( as she bit them) so that is why i took her in) right now she's in a standard cage set up yes i know a bit small but it was a huge short notice and i have a spare room within my home i plan to accomodater her with tomorrow ( standard 13x13 room so it will be more than big enuff) i'd like to make sure this is the breed she is, she is about 6 months old ( and if she is a flemish, i think she may be a bit underweight she is about 9 lbs give or take a lb) keep in mind its an assumption she could be a bit less, she will have hay on 1/2 of the floor w/ a litter box as she is trained, toys etc..i also have a box made of wood but will need to see how she fits in it first.. any info and breed accuracy would be great.thanks,
056.jpg

this pic isnt the best but its dark here and its a new camera..
054.jpg

both ears stand up straight,, she was listening to the trailers go by...

Hiya :D

I've just figured that 9lbs is around 4kg, so I would guess either a german or a french lop - kinda swaying on the german lop side, but will wait for other opinions :)

But what a sweety! :)

she's about 6 months old..and 3 times the size of my lops of 1 yr..thanks...though i dont think she is a lop.. anything is possible..she also showed a bit of aggression with the 4 children she was living with i'm not sure if it was her nature or the fact they are young and she didnt like being picked up...9 bls was a estimate,,it could be more but untill i can grab the scale that was my best guess

Hiya,
She looks like a half-lopped bunny. My Kiki is a mini lop (below pic is before she lopped) and now looks more like this:

DSC_6240small.jpg

German lops are around 4lbs and I think French are a bit bigger, maybe 5lbs, I believe these are the biggest lop breeds but I could be wrong.

I would say a cross of some kind, her ears don't look big enough for a pure flemish and she doesn't look square enough round the face to be pure french/german lop.

She isn't a flemish giant as they only only come in steel colour with a white belly, she could be a cross of one although unlikely being the colour she is.
She looks like a red colour (if the picture is accurate) in which case most likely would be a continental giant cross as there are lots around in that colour. Could be crossed with a lop given the fact that one ear goes down!
If she is 6 months old and a giant breed she's got up to another 6months + growing to do.
HTH
Jessy

confirm on a breed please.

I thought maybe:?a New Zealand red:)she,s certainly a cutey anyway whatever she is:)and well done to you for rescuing her:D

She's definately not a flemish giant from the look of her colour on the photo, but I know photos can be deceptive :?

I'd guess at her being a cross breed, but of what I'm not so sure! Could you post a pic of her face, so we can see the shape of her face better and size of ears in relation to face? x

here's a few more..she's more brown than anything..dont really notice any hinge of red in her ( it could be the lighting in our mud room but she looks strickly brown)
hannah001.jpg

hannah002.jpg

Flemishes don't come in just one color :? At least in the states, there are natural colored as you described, there is a fawn/red which resembles the color of this rabbit, grey, white, steel, and black.

Back on topic, this bun definately doesn't look like a full flemish. With the size, its quite probable she is a flemish cross, but definately not a full blooded, I'd say perhaps a lop cross with the undecided ears..

either way she is lovely :)

she is beautiful..and yes that is true in the states ( i'm in vermont, usa ) and i do have a bit of background on her, not much but at least some..she was purchased from a local fair and brought to a farm with an apple orchard, used as a petting zoo animal ( this actually was shocking and nervewracking ) than they decided it was time for her to go..a woman from my area went picked her up, after a month and the fact her children ( young ) wanted to always pick her up, and since she bit them, making them a bit terrified of her, she decided it was in her best interest to find a new home with some bunny friends, so she stopped by and asked if we would take her...the only other info i have is that she was a flemish giant, as i said 9 lbs is just an estimate i havent weighed her..her ears are funny..they stand straight up, one up and one down and both down..she's way cute!

she is beautiful..and yes that is true in the states ( i'm in vermont, usa ) and i do have a bit of background on her, not much but at least some..she was purchased from a local fair and brought to a farm with an apple orchard, used as a petting zoo animal ( this actually was shocking and nervewracking ) than they decided it was time for her to go..a woman from my area went picked her up, after a month and the fact her children ( young ) wanted to always pick her up, and since she bit them, making them a bit terrified of her, she decided it was in her best interest to find a new home with some bunny friends, so she stopped by and asked if we would take her...the only other info i have is that she was a flemish giant, as i said 9 lbs is just an estimate i havent weighed her..her ears are funny..they stand straight up, one up and one down and both down..she's way cute!

She is definately beautiful :love:

:wave: I'm in the states too... but I'm clear over in Iowa :lol:

Mixbred.
No purebreed rabbit is supposed to have half-loped ears.
There's definitely some lop in her, so if she was supposed to be Flemish maybe lop and Flemish? The color may well come from the lop-side.
I've got a lop mix myself (half Nethie) and her ear lops occasionally, but normally they're both up.
Lazy_summer_days_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

thanks for everyones help..i figured she was a mix..lop in fact, i have several lop mix's i also went out ( now that its bright enough to see ) to compare coloration of fir w/ charger ( a pure lop) and the color matches almost perfect..she is however much much much bigger than he is at a year, so at this point unless someone can give me a definate on her breed..( and again i thank everyone) i going to assume she's flemish/lop mix...would that be accurate enough?? she seems to have settled in much better, eating/drinking and lookin for attention...i have also come across some extra cages i have to pick up on monday and they can be put together ( got to love home designs) so this will be perfect for her as of right now she's in a smaller cage..but it was for transistion only, we still have plans to move all of them inside the mudd room ( temp is about 34 in there in the winter, we've done this for 3 years) this time with a permanant plan set up. i'm still open to all info...( on her breeds..)

Back