• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pustules/ Update: Dermatological problem

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Please helps folks. I've got a strange case. Berrie is offer her food but her belly seems fine. Her temp is normal, heart rate steady, eyes bright, she's grooming herself. I found something disquieting though: Wee white pinhead sized pustules around vulva entrance.
My nerves are jangling, I'm worried it could be myxi although she is vacced.
She is a rescue, I've had her since Dec 07 and My vet and I reckon she is about 2/2.5 years. She is spayed and chipped by me, however I haven't a clue what her history is, could be she's had some form of myxi before :(
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but can anyone with experience offer an opinion?

Cheers.

Here's a pic where you can make out 3 pustules.
Pustules.jpg

Last edited:
My Mabels got those, or what looks very much like them, I took her in 2 years ago and we don;t know how old she is, the vet has looked at them several times and they haven't changed and they are not causing a problem, she still has them and they are still the same size.

I would definately take her to the vet to get it checked out but try not to worry too much, you are doing all you can

Is she still eating and drinking and begaving normally?

Well she is off her food, and drink. But otherwise she is quite bright, furs in good condition, eyes are bright etc. She noramally races for her grub but not tonight :( I'm going to feed her now and see if I get her pooing.

Don't know then, I've just had a look at Mabels and hers are smaller and all around, she has always had them and they aren't a problem but I am not sure they are the same because Berries look bigger, has she eaten at all today?, I would get her to the vet first thing in the morning to be on the safe side

She ate this morning and grazed this afternoon despite the rain. I've just syringed some water and she took that quite willingly.
I also checked her husbun, Emrys for similar pustules but his tiddlywink's as clean as a whistle.

She is definatly going to the vet tomorrow. I've got a weak heart as it is but she's the second ill bun I've had this week. My grey hairs will be starting to appear anytime now.

Doesn't look like myxi to me. You'd expect general swelling and/or large lumps around the groin not necessarily on the vent area itself. That looks more like an STD or even possibly just normal variation in appearance.

Tam

Good luck in the morning, let us know how you get on, hope all goes well and keep calm!!:shock::lol:

Thanks for your interest. Berrie is eating like a horse, hay greens and mix instead of pellets, seems she is fussy now. The vet did something weird, he got some slimy sort of liquid, dribbled it on her vulva, used a cotton bud to wipe it off and then transferred it into a tube. He's sent off to the next practice which is bigger, for testing. He's going to phone on Monday.
He wasn't too worried about her but he does think it could be an STD that has had dormant symptoms up till now.

Phew!, I didn't think it looked like myxi, hopefully it is something that can be sorted with medication, please keep us posted as will will be interesting to see what the results are

Thank goodness! the vet called up to say Berry has a dermatological problem similar to acne in humans. Its caused by overproductive scent glands (the ones in the groin area) and can cause the rabbit some discomfort such as itching or pain.

Berry is in slight pain hence the not eating and the quiet demeanour. It doesn't seem to itch her though and interestingly I checked her scent glands the night before she went to the vet and they were pretty clean, compared to Ebonnie's (stinking btw but not affecting the vulva).
So now I have just been to collect some baytril to keep her going for a week. It should clear up in that time. The vet told me he had a similar case once however the owner of that particular rabbit had not checked the bunnie's vulva early enough and the result was a vulva resembling a cauliflower floret. That is too much for a wee rabbit to endure, so I'm glad I caught this early. The bunnies might hate me for doing daily genital checks but its just as well for them that I do. I'd never heard of this affliction before.

So anybody with buns that let off that yucky hormone smell, before or during fighting with other buns, thats a sign of the scent glands in production, if you smell it a lot, its just as well to have a wee look at your bunnie's vulva or tiddly wink, in case they develope a skin complaint too.
It only occurs on genital skin, is not infectious and can affects bucks as well as does.
In the photo I posted, the wee brown flecks in her fur are not poo but the stuff (similar to sebum in horses) from the sent glands. I'm not sure how they got there, perhaps she cleaned them and transferred them to her skin but it goes some way to explain her wee problem.

Last edited:
Back