• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Please Help!

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I was sold a sick rabbit who appears to have snuffles - despite every precation regarding quarantine somehow one of my other buns has now caught it. The other three all have wet noses those discharge is little and clear - is it likely they have it to or am I panicing for nothing?:cry:

i'm no expert but do they only have snuffles and discharge or are there other symptoms?

it could just be snuffles which could be treat with baytril perhaps?

sniffles and things are always really contagious with animals so don't blame yourself. Despite all our precautions we still get snuffles among our ratties, it just happens.

Three are their normal chirpy selfs just wet noses.

One has slightly dirty discharge but still quite active.#

The original carrier has beennon baytril for a week but hasn't improved at all.

Will they all need anti biotics?

I have had buns with snuffles and they have lived with my other buns and they have never caught it.Snuffles can be caused by pasturella or the staphylococcus bacteria.They only way to find out is to get a deep nasal swab and the bun has to have a GA for this.If you think your buns have snuffles they need to see a vet ASAP as it can develop into pneumonia.
If the baytril Isn't working I would ask your vet for a different antibiotic.Wet noses aren't necessarily a problem but the one with the dirty discharge sounds concerning.Are any of them sneezing and when breathing do they sound rattly?

Last edited:
yes i agree take them to the vets as soon as poss :)

best way to be sure, if baytril isn't working you may need a stronger anti-biotic or it could be something different.

Only the original in sneezing and slightly rattly. I know it takes an extended course for the anti biox to work so I am not as concerned about the one who def has it as he's not got any worse.

I am more worried that I have an epidemic.

I see you live in Bristol are you any where near Langford?They have a bunny clinic there on a Wednesday and you could ask your vet to refer you

Only the original in sneezing and slightly rattly. I know it takes an extended course for the anti box to work so I am not as concerned about the one who def has it as he's not got any worse.

I am more worried that I have an epidemic.

Baytril should start working within a matter of days If he sounds rattly it sounds like its gone to his chest.I would take him to the vet ASAP as once they get pneumonia they can go down hill very rapidly

It not majorly far. They are currently under care at companion care as the 'shop' is paying the bill due to this being there fault. The vets seem pretty compatent but if I have any concerns my own vets are great so I'll just take them there.

What I need to know is do I take all 5 of them to the vets tomorrow or just the two worse ones?

To add this is the second time the new bun has had it this month. The first time a week of baytril cleared it up, the second time it doesn't seem to of done much. The vet did check his chest and their is no pnemonia. He doesn't sound any different. Is more like the sort of rasp from a blocked nose noise.

It not majorly far. They are currently under care at companion care as the 'shop' is paying the bill due to this being there fault. The vets seem pretty compatent but if I have any concerns my own vets are great so I'll just take them there.

What I need to know is do I take all 5 of them to the vets tomorrow or just the two worse ones?

I would just take the two worst ones.If you vet thinks Its the same thing then I would ask him for a course of antibiotics for all of them.Good luck and let us know how you get on.

To add this is the second time the new bun has had it this month. The first time a week of baytril cleared it up, the second time it doesn't seem to of done much. The vet did check his chest and their is no pnemonia. He doesn't sound any different. Is more like the sort of rasp from a blocked nose noise.

Baytril isnt very good for treating snuffles.Every time I used it as soon as I stopped the snuffles came back.Thats why you need a swab taken to identify which bacteria you are dealing with.Try sending Jacks Jane a pm she will be able to advise you on drugs which are effective.You can also type snuffles into the search bar and see what other people have used.I made up a herbal remedy for my bun which I gave him three times a day and It stopped the snuffles.

Thanks Maizey - I ordered the stuff for your recipie yesterday, mind you that was for the one bun not all five. :(:(:(

Snuffles can be caused by pasturella or the staphylococcus bacteria.They only way to find out is to get a deep nasal swab and the bun has to have a GA for this.

Why can't you flush the nasaolacrimal duct and get a sample of the discharge and do a culture sample?

==========================

Amy, are the buns' diet normal? BOth drinking and eating?

If the bacteria spread to other bunnies, there are a few ways to treat this, try any1 of the following:

1) Pen G inject under the skin just below the loose skin behind the neck

2) Ciloxan Drop to the nose

3) gaseous state of enrofloxacin nebulization to the nose

4) Trimeth-Sulfa 48 mg/ml (per ml)

For treatment, you can combine:

1) with 2) for 2 weeks
3) for 1 week as a last try, I have no faith in this
4) with 2) for 2 weeks

Last edited:
Back