• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

very furry friend! Need Help

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Hi I have now been a bunny owner for almost 2 years and i currently have 7 bunnies, 4 of which are indoor bunnies. My youngest who will be a year in December is one of the indoor bunnies and has a problem (i think!!)

He got his first moult at about 3 month old and is still going through it. I have heard of buns constantly moulting due to being indoors but its not a normal amount of hair that is coming out. Its constantly every day big massive chunks of fur (like hes getting new fur then its just falling out) He doesnt have any bald patches he is covered in fur. and he is unbelieveably itchy that he attacks anyone that touches him, so its really hard to brush him.

He has a little amount of dandruff but nothing serious, i have spoken to my vet (not my usual vet he was on holiday) and she said his skin and fur looked fine. But he clearly isnt.

Should i go to my normal vet and let him have a look? has anyone been through this or know what is causing this? my poor bun is always in distress when i go to touch him! HELP please!!

Thanks so much:D:wave:

Last edited:
I wonder if he could have mites. May be worth taking him to your other vet and see what he thinks. Poor bun must be miserable if he is really itchy. Good luck. Pam

biggles moults in huge patches, but you say he has a little dandruff, i would check at the vet though mites cant really been seen with the naked eye and if he seems unhappy a vet trip would be worth it

Thanks for replying my vet is back from his holiday so have got an appointment for this afternoon! hopefully he will get better soon

Back