• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering - Sorry!!!

devoted2buns

Mama Doe
Hi All, this have probably been covered a 100 times but im sure some one will find the time to answer my question.

The RSPCA near me home rabbits in pairs, boy and girl, only the boy having the snip but they do advise the females to be done as well. Do I get her done??

I have 4 other rabbits (in pairs, boy and girl) when I took them to the vet the vet only advised me to have the females done which i did. Does neutering the boys stop them spraying all over the hutch?

What is the best thing I should doo? Neuter the new girl and my boys now too??

Many Thanks. x

Hi All, this have probably been covered a 100 times but im sure some one will find the time to answer my question.

The RSPCA near me home rabbits in pairs, boy and girl, only the boy having the snip but they do advise the females to be done as well. Do I get her done??

I have 4 other rabbits (in pairs, boy and girl) when I took them to the vet the vet only advised me to have the females done which i did. Does neutering the boys stop them spraying all over the hutch?

What is the best thing I should doo? Neuter the new girl and my boys now too??

Many Thanks. x

I would get them ALL done i were you.

I would neuter them all too. :)

For females, spaying is important because it will also prevent uterine cancer, which is sadly very common in unspayed females. It can also help with territorial agression.

Also, a lot of rabbit behaviour is linked to hormones so the spraying should be helped by neutering as well. ;)

You will be best keeping them seperate whilst they recover if they arent bonded as it is a fairly major op esp for the females you will need to keep them as warm as possible too and keep an eye on their eating and of course poos :)

Last edited:
They will have to be kept indoors for the first night as they won't be able to regulate their temperature after the op. Boys usually recover quicker - Alfie was back to normal 24 hrs after being neutered.

People recommend keeping the bunnies in their bonded pairs when they go to the vets and, unless there are problems, they usually recover quicker with their partner too. Alfie and Bubbles had a few scuffles the day after her op which meant I had to split them for a couple of days, so it's something to be aware of but it may not be necessary.

if the boys r done, will they stop humping as much?? x

Neutering should help with the humping too, although it can also be a dominance thing. It can take a few weeks for hormones to die down, so you might not see any change for a little while. :)

I'm not sure about girl bunnies spraying so will leave that for somebody else. ;)

When i get them all done, will they have to be separated to recover and will they not be allowed out?

If they are already bonded - don't separate. It can add to the stress for the bun & bonded buns apparently recover faster:D If not bonded, I usually give a single female about 10 days to get over a spay, although longer (6 weeks) if she's excessively hormonal which would make bonding harder. Males should wait 6-8 weeks after a neuter to go with an un-spayed girlie as they are still fertile, but can be put with a spayed girlie sooner:D

The boys buns cleanliness & hormonal behaviour will probably imrove with neutering:D

I usually keep them warm for 24hours ish & limit their exercise (so no jumpig off a great height) until they have had their 3 day checkup:D

Back