• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sod the diet

ajm44

Young Bun
My new bonded pair of rabbits are not as in lurve as I hoped ( a week after being introduced). So, with a day off work, despite a mass of ironing and housework , have spent the last 2 hours sitting in my pink fleece dressing gown in my bunnies run ( luckily for the nieghbours its an inside run:). Armed with all sorts of treats for Daisy and Benjy I decided it was time for some seriously bonding. Their diet has gone to pot . I have smeared banana, squished up raisins and chocolate spread all over them, but managed somehow to get rather alot over myself in the meantime! Its sticky business. With lots of stroking to calm them down, eventually I got them both to groom each other for about 5 mins. Not sure if it was worth it?
We always knew Daisy would not be an easy bun to bond- she's had 2 previous husbands who have sadly gone to rainbow bridge and was always the bossy girl with them. Zoe from ARC Rescue started to bond her with a cutie called Jim but after 24 hours of him being traumatised, Zoe tried a new boy - Merlin who we have renamed Benjy. He seemed to take her bossy chasing and nipping more in his stride but poor little fella _ i do feel for him:(. he is gorgeous and remains quite chilled out about it all but he doesnt deserve it.Daisy is a really friendly rabbit with us humans and will lick strangers but I fear with the bucks she is one bossy girl and it will take time for Benjy to trust her. She wants lurve from him I know as when I get them together and stroke them both she is so happy bunny chattering.
Does anyone else have a bonded pair where one is still dominant and bossy- i.e chasing and nipping occasionally??I know its only been a week but as she was like this with her previous hubbys - maybe its just in her nature to always be like this even when she is loved up.
P.S excuse my ignorance as i have only just started to follow this site- its fab- but was exactly does binky mean?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiO9rzU_aw&feature=related this is my fav bun video watching you will realise what a binky is, happy jumps :love:

and stop fussing let your buns get on with it only been a week :lol: your worrying to much shes not as bad as she was before, she will start to think oooooo if i boss him about she will give me nose rubs and treats :lol::lol: got you wrapped round your lil finger she has

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiO9rzU_aw&feature=related this is my fav bun video watching you will realise what a binky is, happy jumps :love:

and stop fussing let your buns get on with it only been a week :lol: your worrying to much shes not as bad as she was before, she will start to think oooooo if i boss him about she will give me nose rubs and treats :lol::lol: got you wrapped round your lil finger she has

Ha ha ha - I love the vid that is fabulous:lol::lol:- I thought binky was something like that but needed clarification. I call them frisky bunny hops.

Yeah your prob right- I'm a push over. They are gonna get fat and rotten teeth if I dont stop so am gonna leave em to it- actually the dried on banana may have worked better than I thought--woo hoo he's just given her two-yes two licky head experiences - shes a happy bun right now:D x

Aw. Don't feel sorry for him. The dominant behaviour from Daisy is a rabbit thing and won't feel alien to Merlin. Just let them get on with it by themselves as long as there's no full-on fighting. Did you really mean proper chocolate spread? Chocolate is extremely bad for rabbits. Don't bother spreading stuff on them, they'll groom each other when they're ready.:lol:

Aw. Don't feel sorry for him. The dominant behaviour from Daisy is a rabbit thing and won't feel alien to Merlin. Just let them get on with it by themselves as long as there's no full-on fighting. Did you really mean proper chocolate spread? Chocolate is extremely bad for rabbits. Don't bother spreading stuff on them, they'll groom each other when they're ready.:lol:

Just a incy wincy bit honestly -less then a quarter of a teaspoon- I know its not good - but I heard of another 'bonder' using a bit and was resorting to desperate measures.There is the odd luvvy moment but I dont like to see her chase him. its only been a week so I should give it more time. But no - no full on fighting so def wont be using choc again.

Just ignore the chasing...Floss and Bournville were bonded for over 2 years and she still chased him every now and then just to remind him who was boss! Chasing, humping and even nipping is all part and parcel of their behaviour and there's no need to alter it. Leave them alone and have a well desrerved soak in the bath with some chocolate for yourself:D:D

Great idea as still in the dressing gown:oops:and still messy house! just went to run a bath and there's hay in the bath- it gets everywhere in the house. Is it possible to have house buns and a clean house? - I think not:lol:

I'm not dressed yet either:oops::oops: BUT..I was up at 6.45 to do eric's meds(rog holds him for me before he leaves for work) and since then have done the house work, cleaned the trio's hutch and run, the pair's hutch, and Milly's indoor pen etc, moved two runs to fresh grass, put the 3rd run on the patio and transferred all the rabbits. I came upstairs to make the bed before getting in the bath, logged on here for "just a second" and an hour later am still here!! Going now...really.........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm not dressed yet either:oops::oops: BUT..I was up at 6.45 to do eric's meds(rog holds him for me before he leaves for work) and since then have done the house work, cleaned the trio's hutch and run, the pair's hutch, and Milly's indoor pen etc, moved two runs to fresh grass, put the 3rd run on the patio and transferred all the rabbits. I came upstairs to make the bed before getting in the bath, logged on here for "just a second" and an hour later am still here!! Going now...really.........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That sounds busy to me. I was up 6.45 too - but only just got dressed b4 kids get home from school so they dont think i've been a slovenly mother! No I have been doin extra bonding rabbit duties and have been slogging in the kitchen most of the day (eek the lies) watching the bunnies and maybe a little bit of time on the forum;) oh heck its good to have a lazy day sometimes isn it?

Back