• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indiscriminate dribly wee? - U/D Calcium build up in his bladder

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Woke up this morning and Blues bum is soaked. He's leaving a trail of wee everywhere but seems fine otherwise. He's eating fine and not hunched up, there's no teeth grinding so I don't think he's in pain....just weeing everywhere. What do you think guys? Waiting for the vets to open so I can get an appointment, I'm just really worried about him. Theres loads of the sticky poo everywhere in his hutch and all over the utility room floor where he lives as well.
Am I just being silly or could something be wrong?

Last edited:
You are doing the right thing by taking him to the Vets :)
He may have a Urinary Tract infection/Cystitis. But he does need to be examined by a Vet

Good luck and please keep us posted

So worried....roll on 8.30! Called work and told them that I will be in late so I'll have to make the time up. Trying to stop him running around too much...he did a binky earlier and it went EVERYWHERE!! :shock:

well...been to the vets and its a build up of calcium deposits. they've filled up his bladder and made him leak. Hes on baytril and has to go in for a bladder flush on monday......

Woke up this morning and Blues bum is soaked. He's leaving a trail of wee everywhere but seems fine otherwise. He's eating fine and not hunched up, there's no teeth grinding so I don't think he's in pain....just weeing everywhere. What do you think guys? Waiting for the vets to open so I can get an appointment, I'm just really worried about him. Theres loads of the sticky poo everywhere in his hutch and all over the utility room floor where he lives as well.
Am I just being silly or could something be wrong?

Oh I have the same problem well not as much with the wee but with the sticky poo everywhere, with Joey. I have him booked in because I read this- Any symptoms you reconise??
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

well...been to the vets and its a build up of calcium deposits. they've filled up his bladder and made him leak. Hes on baytril and has to go in for a bladder flush on monday......

Poor chap. Did they give him any pain relief ?

Were you advised about dietry modifications you need to make-ie reducing his calcium intake and encouraging him to up his water intake?

He's not getting any pain relief, mostly because he's not showing any pain symptons at all, he was flopping around on the floor like normal and didn't mind being squeezed, poked and prodded.
I've been told I need to start filtering his water as that is the most likely sourse of the calcium. We're on very hard water here so the vet said it was quite common around here.
Vet also checked his teeth and ears, got growled at when he tried to look at his teeth but everything is fine in that department. Peed all over the vet and all over me (nice!). I'm going to have a check on the labling of his food and see if its particularly high in calcium.

you may also want to avoid very high calcium veg like parsley, carrot tops, & most cabbages except savoy & kale. Switch to small amounts of spring greens and dark lettuce, raddish, carrot & fruits, cauliflower & corriander + some mangetout or sugar snap peas. It's a bit of a balance trying to make sure you don't give too much sugar vs calcium reduction but worth trying. A touch of cranberry juice in his water might encourage him to drink more to help flush through the calcium and is quite good for bladder problems.

Hello... we managed to get our 10 year old through a severe calcium build up earlier on this year. I found that dandelions really helped him. It was February and they were rare. We had to hunt round for them but I am convinced that they helped. My friend says they have the nick name 'wet the bed' - I wonder if this is why they are good for urine / bladder problems. Also we filtered his water and researched the veggies that are low in calcium. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

One of mine had his bladder flushed Christmas day 2007 :roll: He showed no signs at all until he started throwing himself around at 11am in pain! We are now very careful to give foods that are not too high in calcium often. I have since found out that the food he was on at that time was higher than others in calcium (Science Selective). They are both on Oxbow now.

Hope it all goes OK on Monday.

Off to the vets again this morning for the flush...wish me luck! He has his lunch packed and everything's ready. Not sure if he's going to have to stay overnight....

Back