• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your bed is not a litter box...

Xowhiteasianxo

Warren Scout
I bought Azlan a fleece cat bed. It's small with a raised, fluffy rim...and all he does is poop and pees in it....:roll:

He had a towel first and he used that to lay on so I thought i would get him something more comfortable to lay on. But nope. It's a littler box to him! He's not even litter trained! I haven't taught him anything but how do you think he would react to a litter box? I want to potty train him but not using a tiny fleece bed! :lol:

Any tips?

Thanks guys! :D

How old is he? Has be been neutered? That usaully improves litter training.

Also he might be marking it as his. My bun uses her litter tray but also likes to pee on her friend (her blanket).

my 2 are litter trained but also use any fluffy beds at litter trays.
I really don't understand why as they don't use their towels as litter trays. It's a mystery :roll:

anything that is fluffy mine will use as a litter tray although it does seem to depend if it is on the gound (definite litter tray) or raised up slightly (possibly bed).......do not know why and the ideal raise in height seems to be about 40 cm but even this will not stop my lot from peeing on vet bed and they just chuck it off and pee on it on the floor instead. the more the fluff the more it seems it is attractive to poo and pee (perhaps they think it is an odd shaped rabbit) so that might explain why carpet is just about ok but vet bed not.

this is really interesting. Mine have a definite preference for using fluffy things as litter trays. I bought them a lovely fluffy house which became a litter tray. Then I got a house that isn't fluffy and they don't wee in that (they simply rip it to shreds so different problem). I tried putting a litter tray in their fluffy bed in the hope they would see the difference but no they didn't. It definitely seems to be something to do with fluff as they are ok with beach towel they use to lie on. Wonder what it is??????

just a thought I wonder if I put their bed on shelf in their shed (when shelf is fixed by my dad) or perhaps put vet bed up there would they then see it as bed or litter tray???

I would try litter training your bunny, they'll probably take to it! As for the bed try using a good enzyme based cleaning product on it to remove all previous markings and repeat this everytime they wee in it; hopefully if their marking becomes futile they won't bother anymore! Having a raised up seperate bed area may help... I'm not sure :?

Back