• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would these posts concern you?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

Freecycle as we know is notorious for people putting their unwanted (normally rabbits) animals on there for free. Most of our local groups don't allow it but one does.

I have noticed the same persons name cropping up now and again offering rabbits....the person says that they have "rabbits ready for rehoming" making him/her sound like some kind of rescue. The last post they made was for baby rabbits and the post sounded more like an advert detailing their colour and how lovely they were.

I emailed that person asking if they were a rescue and suggesting that RR was a better place to find a new home. They did email me back and they said they were a private rehomer (no idea where the buns come from) but the rabbits they had put on freecycle this time were an "accident" when there own male got out of his hutch and into their females run....:?

They did say they would register on here but I can't see any posts....

The second posting I am concerned about is from a lady who works within my company (but a different site) and has posted a message on our intranet entitled "free christmas presents!":shock: She has baby gpigs ready now, and says "ideal christmas presents for your children!":shock::evil:I have sent a polite email suggesting that she look for links on the web to find somewhere to rehome them and made a comment about so many animals ending up on FC because kids have become bored of them but no reply as yet.

I find it very hard to reply back to these people (normally I get abuse) but have been more careful lately not to judge and to politely suggest things such as looking on RR for both rehoming, getting a pet, care etc but still most people just ignore me. Ignorant I guess. Something I myself have been accused of!:evil:

I check our local website where people advertise animals which is similar to the freecycle you guys have and always send emails but have only ever had one reply, from someone who did genuinely seem to be in a difficult situation and thanked me for my advice and help

Its so sad to see so many animals advertised as free where the owners just want rid as quick as possible :cry:

'Free Christmas presents'.......... I have never heard anything like it! Disgraceful. I would have struggled to send a polite email, and would have gone too far!

my beautiful Tyson came from freecycle and I will always be happy I chose to give him a home. Bruno I got from a rabbit rescue (thank you kay - he's so gorgeous)

i avoid but sometimes im browseing through and i also send polite email spesh to those that are going to free to good homes as these most likly become reptile food, it takes me agggggggggggggges to word it right, as you dont know if the person is genuine and is just wanting a good home, or they are irresponable idiots who have no idea, i try and be as polite as i can sometimes i get a nice reply sometimes nothing its just the risk you take, but at least you feel like you have done something which is better than nowt

I used to check freecycle and preloved etc everyday but I find it so upsetting. I end up just wanting to help them all :(

Saying that though, a few of my piggies came from freecycle and they now have a forever home with us here.

We have a yahoo site here called pets second chance they advertised unwanted pets or people add wanted's :( such a shame but it seems to have gone quiet so i'm hoping people have learnt :(

my beautiful Tyson came from freecycle and I will always be happy I chose to give him a home. Bruno I got from a rabbit rescue (thank you kay - he's so gorgeous)

Thankfully you getting Tyson managed to sort his dental problems out, could you imagine if somebody else got him:roll:
You can have as many rabbits off me as you want as you are an excellent owner:D

Back