• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't use this litter anymore I think I'm going to be sick!! HELP

kerry-123

Mama Doe
I can't use a litter tray anymore. The **** I just had to clean off Joeys bum was absoloutly disgusting all the balls were stuck to the poo all around his bum I had to give him a bath. I took out the litter tray because it always clumps when the buns pee and smells foul. I really can't take it anymore they can pee where they want in their cage, even when they're out it's just to much for my stomach to take now seriously.
He was a little damp when I put him back into his cage so I was afraid of more sawdust getting stuck to him so put down looaaaddss more hay. I might stop using sawdust b/cus it is always getting stuck to them!!!! :censored:

Last edited:
Is he indoor or outdoor? How often do you empty the tray and what litter do you use?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a idea of whats up :)

Is he indoor or outdoor? How often do you empty the tray and what litter do you use?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a idea of whats up :)

Indoor, and every day now (didn't change it for two at the start but now it's everyday and still clumps up)

I use 2 cat sized litter trays for my three, with a thick layer of newspaper (about 1 paper in each) then fill it up with hay, as long as I change it every day I never have problems.

When you say the poo is sticking to him, is the poo itself sticky? What are you feeding and how much?

Often buns who aren't eating enough hay or are getting too much food get sticky buns?

What is his diet like as the poos he does should be golden brown and shouldnt really be wet enough to get him in a mess? I know wee will wet it but it shouldnt be that bad after a day? :)

what litter do you use? I use Fussy Puss which is a wood based one, it never sticks to bunnys fur, smells lovely (of pine) and doesnt clump either.

Which one are you using?

Honestly, change it to wood based litter, you will never look back

ps, also your bunnys poos should not be like that? Check his diet, it should be hay hay and more hay, very small amount of dry food - peferably Supa Rabbit excel or some other extruded pellet food, and some green veg/root veg.

He may have teeth problems, do take him to the vets and watch for flystrike (although unlikely as this time of yr)

:wave:

I use 2 cat sized litter trays for my three, with a thick layer of newspaper (about 1 paper in each) then fill it up with hay, as long as I change it every day I never have problems.

When you say the poo is sticking to him, is the poo itself sticky? What are you feeding and how much?

Often buns who aren't eating enough hay or are getting too much food get sticky buns?

There diet is Supa rabit food, egg cup full of pellets and looooaaaaddddss of hay all over the cage. My brother did feed them lettuce when I wasn't there about four days ago :censored: which upset their tummies a little but when they poo when they are out and about now it's normal :S Just light brown round poo's. I have no idea what happens in that cage that makes their poo's go weird. They also ate the litter at one point :S :S :S :S I really am never using it again

what litter do you use? I use Fussy Puss which is a wood based one, it never sticks to bunnys fur, smells lovely (of pine) and doesnt clump either.

Which one are you using?

Honestly, change it to wood based litter, you will never look back

Thank you. I use critter litter (?) Its like little balls

I like putting a good layer of hay over the litter. I'm still using wood shavings at the moment (bad mommy, I know - need to get hold of some megazorb). I have a huge litter tray that was the bottom of a bird cage and it's so easy to clean out. Every day I roll most of the hay up with the poo on top and just scoop the pee soaked litter out of the corner. I spread the shaving and top them up if I need to, replace the hay and do a full clean with all new once a week.

Im like Louise, I line a litter tray with paper and then lots of hay on it. They like to sit in their trays and much hay. I top it up with fresh throughout the day and I change and clean the trays daily.

try not to use sawdust, finish it off if you have to and dont buy any more, just line your trays or cage with paper and fill with hay, how is your set up, do they only go in one area this bit you can just put paper down but ive found the wee doesnt go straight in so i just use a small amount of hay and clean that bit out everyday, buns do smell more when not neutered, though i have noticed girls wee smells more than boys for some reason either that i have so many boys i can just smell hers as im used to the boys :lol: the poos should be no prob and shouldnt really smell unless they have poorly tummys, failing that get a cheap dust mask or wrap a towel round your face when doing the cleaning, :D

Clumping litter should never be used for rabbits...it could easily kill them if they eat it.

Try a wood or paper based litter instead

I use newspaper then a layer of megazorb topped with hay. I notice a big difference if I don't use the megazorb - it is really absorbent and takes away some of the smell too. I empty and spray clean the litter trays and replace the lot with fresh every other day and this seems to work for all of mine.

They all have a litter tray each - so my trio have 3!

I too use a large cat litter tray, newspaper in the bottom, then magazorb and then hay on top. I empty it completely once or twice a day depending on how much is in and weather (e.g. in summer I do twice a day)

Back