• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

super furry poo

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I have three bunnies, all have the same diet and I am very very careful what I feed them, namely:
Lots of super forage
Unlimited local meadow hay
Small amount of Supa rabbit excel each day
In the evening they get mix of green veg/root veg (but Not any high suger veg such as parsnip or carrot) They are also on a low calcium diet
A treat of baby sweetcorn

My problem is that one of them, Scampi Doodle (mama's boy) who is by far the most active and eats the most hay, occasionally, but too often for my liking does the most amazing furry poos. Basically they are normally oblong in shape or a whole string (I have seen him do a string of 9 poos, like a necklace!) The poos are a shell of poo, but solid hair once the "shell" has been peeled off. The other two treasures, Miffy and Snuffy do have hair in their poo of course, but never like this unless they have just been through a heavy moult and have a bit of a tummy ache.(GI stasis)
Scampi gets this quite often and gets by far the worse tummy aches. He had one the other day that lasted for three days . He seems to get GI stasis quite badly. As he was not eating I syringe fed him for the three days and gave him lots of warm water.
It must be linked to his hairy poos and the fact that when he gets GI stasis its the worse out of the three. Strangely, my bunny Miffy, who I swear would be happy eating crisps and burgers for the rest of his life (dont worry I dont feed him these) and eats the least hay has the least tummy aches and does the least hairy poos.
Any ideas? Suggestions?

Firstly, is your bun long haired? and how often do you brush him? You need to make sure you brush bun, and all the other buns (for the grooming of each other) to stop any hair building up. Id recommend brushing them atleast every other day if you can,or maybe daily if there is a long haired bunny involved

They are all Lionheads, so only have lovely manes. When they are moulting they are groomed every day. When they are "normal" I groom them at least once a week. To be honest they get such major league stroking, esp Scampi as he is a lone bun, that takes off quite alot of loose fur as well!

a little pineapple or i think papya tablets which you can get get for animals is what i think others here use when there buns are moulting to help aid the fur to follow through

i dont know how to copy past threads to here but type in papya tablets or hairy poos in the search box and there are loads of bits about hairy poos

Back