• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am right about Kizzy- medical question.-not good news, post 28.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Kizzy is in tomorrow to have bloods taken (she regularly has a wet bum), her tear duct flushed again and to be spayed. I've told the vet even if they find a cancer to go ahead with the op, and we will deal with any secondary cancers later, if there are any, do you think this is sensible and fair on her.
The other thing is, if they find anything wrong with her kidneys and they think it is safe to do the op should I tell them to go ahead with it, or should I leave her entire and risk her having/developing uterine cancer. She is 8, and she will bond with Runt, even if she is entire. They have been in together already ( Mike running ahead of plans.:roll:) and been fine, but I decided to hold back until she was spayed before progressing any futher.We tend to do slow bonds anyway and at the moment they go out into adjoining runs.

Last edited:
If she does have uterine cancer then the only sensible thing to do would be to go ahead with the op, it would be her only chance. I think because of her age it is sensible to do a pre op blood test. If there is anything to worry about there I'm sure the vet will discuss the implications with you before going ahead with the op.

Good luck for tomorrow I hope it goes smoothly :)

Personally I would want a chest Xray done aswell as the bloods. UC usually metastasises to the lungs and any sign of that on a Chest Xray then I would not put her through a spay.
Neither would I do so if she had any sign of Kidney/Liver problems from the bloods.
I would also want her to have had a course of Fenbendazole before the spay.

I was assuming from the original post that you have no reason to suspect uterine cancer at present. If there is a reason to think she has the cancer then I too agree that chest xrays would need to be done first to determine if it has spread, in which case a spay would be pointless.

I have had bunnies with both liver and kideny problems sucessfully have repeated GA's for dentals but again dentals are not as invasive as a spay

There is no real reason to suspect she has uterine cancer, or anything really, it may just be that she is an old bunny who has had a s**t life. She is eating well and is quite bright, I just have a gut feeling something isn't quite right, hopefully I'm wrong. She wasn't fed or given water for days at a time, so I am now suspecting it may be her kidneys. I just want to do the best by her, I was planning to get her x-rayed after the op if they turned up signs of cancer during the op, but i've seen quite a few people on here spay rabbits who then turned out to have cancer and they have been fine afterwards. I did suspect that the lungs would be next to check, as Bertha's cancer had spread to her lungs, but its good to know that would be the next step to take.:D

Last edited:
In that case if the blood tests don't show up anything terrible I would go for it :)
Dumpling had one of the worse cases of uterine cancer the vet had ever seen and was badly infected, 6 months on she is a happy, lively bunny and fingers crossed shows no sign of it having spread at the moment :D

I would still advise Xray before spay as I dont see the point in putting an 8 year old Doe through invasive surgery if there was already signs of metastatic disease.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I would still advise Xray before spay as I dont see the point in putting an 8 year old Doe through invasive surgery if there was already signs of metastatic disease.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I will mention this to the vets tomorrow, its Charlie who is doing the op and he knows me quite well. I've already told him my worries :oops:,so I will let him decide whether he wants to x-ray- he probably will, he's quite careful.:)
Thanks.

An update on Kizzy. I took her in this morning and told the vet I also wanted x-rays and a scan done, as I was sure something wasn't right, she seemed a bit wobbly this morning. They phoned me as soon as they finished the pre-op tests. Firstly, she is dehydrated so they will not operate today, they didn't manage to get bloods because of this and the fact she is a small rabbit to begin with.
The scan didn't show very much, but the x-ray did show a soft tissue mass in her uterus, there is nothing elsewhere. The vet thinks she actually has a 'mucometrea', I'd never heard of this before, but it means the uterus is filled with mucus and it is a hormonal problem. In a way it is better than the other 2 alternatives, as a pyo means there is an infection and the other is cancer.
She is still in the vets, getting sub cut fluids and we are picking her up this evening, to continue this, along with antibiotics and metochloprimide injections over the weekend, so that she is , hopefully fit for an op at the beginning of the week. I'm not sure if she needs metochloprimide, as she is eating and pooping well and bright within herself, but will see what the vet thinks.
I feel annoyed with myself that I didn't get her in sooner, but she was so bright and has been thin since we got her, that is why we held off from having the op done, I wanted to get a bit of weight on her. I should just learn to trust myself.:evil:

I'm glad Kizzy is ok even if she didn't have the op :) Hopefully with the treatment she is getting today she will be fighting fit next week, well done for giving her the best chance :D

Don't beat yourself up about getting her in sooner, bunnies hide their problems so well and getting weight on her for the op was important too.

I haven't heard of mucometrea either, it is always good to learn something new

Don't beat yourself up about not bringing Kizzy to the vet sooner - you're doing your best for her! :) I'm so pleased to hear that she is ok :wave:

Thanks guys.:D
Kizzy is home and tucking into her tea. She has to get fluids every 2 hours, thankfully not overnight, although I'd be happy to do it, as well as metochloprimide every 8 hours and baytril once a day.
She will get a check on Monday to determine if she is up to the op, her weight is a concern, but we've fed her as much as she will eat, so we will just have to risk it. Maybe she will put on the weight, after and if she survives the op. The vet was positive tonight, and she behaved much better than the last time, just after we got her, when she bit the nurse.:oops:

This is exactly what my Missie had along with tumours under all her nipples, she had all those removed at the same time as being speyed, It's a condition that is not very common in bunnies, uterine cancer being far more common, however Missie was really poorly for a few days but has made a remarkable recovery and is now doing very, very well, I really hope that Kizzy makes a good recovery too and I am sending loads of vibes to her

Good luck

Many thanks, Snowy. How old was Missy, your post gives me great hope.:D

We don't know, we took her in from the RSPCA collections Officer who found her loose on the local race course, our vet thinks she is at least five if not older but of course it's very difficult to tell, do you want to see photo's of her, her uterus and her nipples?, I will post them if you like

Yes, Snowy that would be interesting to see. I probably won't get to see anything, but I saw her x-ray and her uterus is huge.

I think your right Starlights, the pus is caused by an infection, and the vet thinks the mucus sitting in her could then lead to an infection starting and and her then developing a full blown pyometra.

Well Kizzy is very bright today, and even offered to groom me for the first time. I suppose we should be greatful we got her when we did or she would still be sitting outside in a dirty hutch, until she died of it. At least she is warm and fed and we are doing our best for her.

She's tucking into some spinach and carrot at the moment.:D

This is Missie
Newgirl0112.jpg

This is her uterus
uterus013x2.jpg

These are her nipples
nipples014x2.jpg

I should have spread her uterus out better but to be honest it was just a mucousy swollen mess, it was really horrible, she took a couple of days to get over the operation but she has come on in leaps and bounds, she is not at all aggresive anymore, her coat is shiny, her eyes are bright and she is just a much happier bunny, but then, I suppose she would be after getting rid of that.

If it happened again, no matter what the age, then I would go for it, at the end of the day it's all about quality of life.

Back