• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes in winter

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Just a word of warning about foxes.....

I saw a fox in the garden at 8am today, and have seen them around at lunchtime in winter...so watch your bunnies carefully if they're out in the garden during the winter months!

I find that noise and human presence keeps our local foxes away, so I always supervise my buns whilst they're out, and I plug a radio into an extension cable and put it near the runs...some buns don't like the nose at first, but they get used to it.

Foxes tend to roam in the daytime if they are hungry, the introduction of wheelie bins means that it is harder for them to find food sadly.

when i 1st got my bun, he had to stay in the garden overnight in his hutch, i hardly slept a wink for the worry of a fox sniffing him out, the next day he was moved into my unused garage :)

There's a big difference between an urban fox and a rural one, too.:D

When we lived in the city, the foxes were more nocturnal and some of them fat as pigs and huge - clearly well fed. Here in the middle of nowhere, they are skinny- and a LOT more desperate. And around in daylight hours too!

There's a big difference between an urban fox and a rural one, too.:D

When we lived in the city, the foxes were more nocturnal and some of them fat as pigs and huge - clearly well fed. Here in the middle of nowhere, they are skinny- and a LOT more desperate. And around in daylight hours too!

I live in the country and have never seen a fox anywhere near my house. The main difference between urban and rural foxes is that rural foxes are scared of people more. I don't think rural foxes are a lot more desperate, they eat what they're supposed to eat, wild rabbits, bird etc. Some of the urban foxes I've seen look pretty horrendous with mange. Someone has been releasing urban foxes around here.

Don't they have access to wild rabbits and pheasants etc in the country though?

Yes of course they do! I grew up on a smallholding, and have returned to the country - but I used to live in a big city and was always stunned at how fat and well fed the urban foxes round there, were as the foxes I saw in my childhood - and see again now - are like shadows of them! Trust me a fox in the countryside is not so scared of people it won't come into your garden - we lost 30 hens to one, once. And farmers will tell you the same thing. The meals are fewer and further between here.

Re. pheasants - we have so many round here I woke one morning to the sight of 5 golden pheasants on my front lawn. Countless of them live in the field behind our house as there is quite an active shoot just down the road. We still never see a fat fox!

i had two foxes the other night the silly thing woke me up with its calling so i was out like a shot, think in my area the most common time is 4am :roll: so my flapping dressing gown fluffy slippers and my foul head is enough to scare any fox off for the night:lol: if i get a fox thats quiet frosty wakes me up with her thumping so i feel quite safe with my two that are outside at the mo, its still barracaded like fort knox everynight though to be sure

We had an injured fox round my way the other day, council were round looking for it, i do hope they find it as id hate to think of any animal suffering :(
We quite often here foxs barking during the night (i live surrounded by loads of trees and live in a cul de sac) luckily 3 of my bunnies are indoor and my other 2 are quite secure in the shed and not left unsupervised in the run :D

on the bbc news some woman got attacked by one and she had to run to her car with the thing attached to her arm, at least she had enough sense to keep it to get it test for rabies.

Don't they have access to wild rabbits and pheasants etc in the country though?

yes, but it doesnt stop them from going for caged animals too.

I don't think it's wise to generalise about rural/urban foxes...they both pose an equal risk, it depends on the individual fox. I've seen them during daylight in the city -and- the country. be careful everyone:wave:

Back