• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi

blaisey

Mama Doe
There seems to be a bit of an influx of Myxi threads today.

If it is possible, could the people who have poorly bunnies let us know what area they are in?

I am in Scotland near Glasgow. My poor ally has contracted myxi (she is vaccinated). Up until recently we had loads of wild rabbits around the area.

I am in Scotland near Glasgow. My poor ally has contracted myxi (she is vaccinated). Up until recently we had loads of wild rabbits around the area.

Thats awful but thanks for letting us know.
Her vaccination should ease it a bit for her, fingers crossed for her :)

I am based in Kent on the border with East Sussex. This is a rural location.

However I google search on Myxi picked up a couple of newspaper articles - The Mail and The Times around 24th September this year with the headlines 300% rise in Myxi cases reported to VETS. Whether this is down to the weather conditions over the summer/autumn or as my VET said the conditions for the lifecycle of the insects don't know but I think Myxi cases are up all over the country.

Will try and find the articles if I can.

Daily Mail News Article.

Rabbit owners were yesterday warned to vaccinate their pets after vets reported a huge rise in deaths from myxomatosis.

The number of domestic rabbits infected with the lethal virus has gone up threefold in a year.

The veterinary charity PDSA has reported dramatic increases in incidence of myxomatosis in three of its PetAid hospitals in Humberside, the West Midlands and the South-East.
Since September last year, PDSA's PetAid hospital in Hull dealt with 30 cases of myxomatosis, after handling only eight the year before.
In Romford, the charity saw a leap from 12 cases of the disease in 2006/07 to 43 in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
The Times August 2007

Ms Brown said that myxomatosis often flares up at the end of the summer and could linger until November. “This year the humid weather has created ideal conditions for the spread of biting insects such as mosquitoes and fleas that carry the disease,” she said.

“These insects thrive in the warm wet weather and there are also lots of stagnant waters around that are the breeding grounds for these populations.”

Mark Johnston, spokesman for the British Small Animals Veterinary Association, who practises in East Sussex, said that he had heard of widespread reports that the disease was back with a vengeance. He said that most outbreaks were episodic and tended to be extremely localised. He urged owners to vaccinate their pet rabbits every six months.

Back