• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty rabbit

Kody

New Kit
Hi I'm new on here. I have 2 rabbits, Oscar a 5 year old castrated Netherland and Poppy a 5 year old entire female lionhead.
I have a problem with Poppy and wondered if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong.
I've had her for abot 2 years now she came to me from the college I worked at as she was too agressive to the students and was always snotty and sneezing, they were going to have her PTS.
She has been in and out of the vets for a number of years and keeps being put on various antibiotics which ahve no effect. She is fine in herself and since not having students poking her is quite friendly.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with her as the vets don't seem to have a clue, also I would like to get her spayed as she has phamtoms quite regulary but don't know if it would be safe to do so with her breathing issues.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help.

Hiya,

not sure what's wrong tbh - I would post this in the "rabbit chat" section too, you may get more responses

What colour is the snot you have seen? How long has she been on each course of antibiotic? Have you seen any improvement at all, even if temporary, when she's been on any of the antibiotics? Has a nasal swab been taken? How about X-rays of the skull? Does she have any dental problems to your knowledge? Has anything other than antibiotic been tried? Is it a constant problem or does it come and go?

Sorry for so many questions but the answers may help to narrow it down :)

Is she snotty and / or just loud breathing .. our lionhhead has such a small head that the vet said that her nasal passage 'bits' were squashed and hence she sits and snores when she is relaxed / asleep!!

Maybe yours has similar and it is affecting 'snot production' !! probably a bit like a bull dog??

I expect the snotty nose could be quite a few things and I am sure other people on here will have more ideas as well. If it were my rabbit I think I would get a 2nd opinion from another vet. Maybe someone on this forum knows a good rabbit savvy vet in your area?

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:

Thanks for the replys.
The 'snot' is clear and there is definatly snot not just noisey breathing, she sneezes as well. She is bedded on newspaper and hay but the hay is not dusty. She was on the ;ast lot of antibiotics for over a month and there was no improvement and stressed her so much it seemed to get worse.
Nothing other than antibiotics has been tried (my vet is rubbish!) so she hasn't had x-rays or swabs.
I live in Enfield, if anyone who knows of a good rabbit vet it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Back