• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Propalin for Incontinence

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I posted a while back about Maddie having a probable diagnosis of EC causing her to be incontinent. Well, my vet suggested trying Propalin which is a drug used for speyed dogs with incontinence due to hormonal problems. Its not licenced for rabbits, like a lot of things, and so he could only give me advice based upon the manufacturers recommendations for dogs.

I'm currently giving 0.05mls 3 times a day and after approx 10 days she has showed an improvement, well she is completely dry now!

I wondered if anyone else has tried this? Have you tried to reduce the dosage at all once effectivity has been shown? eg give it once or twice a day.... or can stop it and start again if we see a relapse.

The vet has said he is happy for me to try things out and see what works for Maddie as I'm in the best place to monitor and to decide for myself - so thought I'd ask around for ideas before trying anything different.

Thanks a lot!

My Crunchie was on Propalin for urinary incontinence.

We stopped Crunchie's propalin once, but she was soaking wet by the next morning.

Perhaps you could reduce the dose to twice a day rather than stopping it straight away?

Thanks for that info, thats useful to know. Just wondering how others have found it works. Seems a good idea to wean off slowly, so perhaps will try twice a day if I'm brave!

Thanks for helping
xx

I've had this for my dogs in the past too and I found you could gradually reduce the dosage until you hit a happy medium. You'll get to a point where they're wet again so you know you've hit the lowest dose you can get away with. You may also find that you can stay at a low dose for a long time but eventually you'll probably have to increase it again.

Back