• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this bad for Lola?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Our house is quite warm. When I get up on a morning I let Lola out for a run in the garden and she seems to really enjoy herself as she has a good sit and poo in her toilet and then a sniff/binky about, chews a few leaves etc then comes back in.

Am I right in thinking the change of temperature for her coming out of the warm house to the cold garden is not good for ehr and I should keep her in over Winter? (This would be a shame as she loves her play out) but I want to do the best for her and if it means not letting ehr out I wont.

Thank you for answering my endless questions. It is very much appreciated.

If the change in temp would be drastic -what about opening the windows for a short while before letting her out to acclimatise then close them when she goes out and open again for a few mins before she comes back in.

I don't keep my rabbits in a warm room - they have a rabbit room attached to the house- a bit like a shed so I open the cat flap style doors in the morning and they can go out. If its very cold they often stay put for about an hour till they go out - acclimatising themselves i suppose-possibly as they would do in a burrow?

Your bun should be ok unless temp change dramatic-like central heating on full then out in the snow.(my buns love snow!)-Sue:wave:

If it's just for a short time and she is running around for most of it then she should be fine. I would turn off the heating in her room if possible though, rabbits struggle in heat.

I get the impression that the worry is about the winter coat. I don't think a few hours on a nice ish day would hurt.:)

I was wondering the same....our bun lives in the kitchen and I let her out in the garden as soon as we get up for her to run around, if its too chilly she wont go out,but she does love to go out in the flower beds and sit, i guess if shes cold she will come in.......she seems happy enough, but like you, i think its a shame to keep them in all winter as she too likes to play out. How much outdooor exercise does ur bun get??just out of interest>

When one of us is home we leave the back door open and Tinkerbell goes out if she wants to come, no matter what the weather.

Last night she sat on the step with fireworks banging away :D

if its too chilly she wont go out

Well that's the critical part isn't it, you have to in some ways trust the animal to know what is fine for it to do. If Lola enjoys what she is doing and is showing no desire to return to the house, hide and isn't sitting huddled trying to stay warm, then sounds like she is fine. I wouldn't let her out in a frosty/snowy morning or even below 5 degrees, but if she is running and keeping warm then sounds like she is quite happy.

When one of us is home we leave the back door open and Tinkerbell goes out if she wants to come, no matter what the weather.

Last night she sat on the step with fireworks banging away :D

Yep, Muppet's exactly the same :D

I leave the radiator off in the dining room (where he's mostly based) so it's not too warm that end. And the back door only stays open for as long as I can stand it - brr!!! - so if it's a very cold day, he doesnt get to stay out for long. He always wants to go out tho, no matter how cold it is or if it's pelting down, so he always is allowed to go out for awhile.

Back