• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has Myxomotosis

judest

Young Bun
One of my two rabbits has contracted Myxomotosis. They were both vaccinated 13th May 08. The ill rabbit is being kept indoors presently. I'm after any advise I can get with regard to treating the disease, apologies if there is already a discussion on this, it seems this year Myxi is rife -> if so can anyone point me in the right direction?.

It is day 18, she has been having twice daily doses of Baytril although she has become reluctant to take antibiotics from the syringe, she is consuming Baytril by food and water. The swelling has significantly reduced although she is now snuffly, I can hear her breathing and the VET has given me a different antibiotic to try yesterday, I have been unable to get her to accept it by syringe as her mouth is still very sore, this is being consumed as added to her food. I have been reading about Eqimune IV but I wouldn't know what this is called in the UK, I will ask the VET about it on my next visit. She is eating normally and washing so I am resolved to give her the best chance possible to get through it.

h i one of our buns had myxi before and survived... she needs to be indoors where its warmer, needs to have a pain relief such as metacam and if poorly eyes eye drops too such as fucilthalmic or tiacil,,,baytril or other antibiotic is a nessacity i would also try tempting her with foods keep her eating another tip if she has breathing problems is stema baths xx

Aww I'm so sorry, hope your bunny is ok.

How do you know they've got Mixi? I've (touchwood) never had a problem with my buns and as they live outside and we've moved to the country, I'm worried they might get it and I wouldn't know.

They've had their jabs.

I noticed a strange colour to her eyes one Sunday evening but I wasn't sure. The next morning she had puffed up eyelids and so I booked an appointment with the VET that afternoon. The VET diagnosed Myxomotosis but I pretty much knew that would be her diagnosis. I was shocked as I didn't think they could easily contract this if vaccinated, anyway I think I might have caught it early and I separated the buns to be on the safe side.

Audrey is still fine and living outdoors. Rosie is indoors being treated in middle of the third week now.. I have been giving cranberry raisins, she doesn't want pineapple right now but I hope these will also help to fight off a secondary infection along with the antibiotics.

Just wanted to say that I have trawled through this site looking for tips on how to treat Rosie Myxi bunny.

Thanks to all of you who have posted replies to threads on this subject for the past X many months. I have picked up some useful information. I did not know that there is a 2 week delay before the vaccination can take effect and so I have now booked in Audrey for her job at the VETS tomorrow since it was due on the 13th November. There are also a few other drugs I can ask the VET if we can try to make Rosie's recovery easier on her.

My bun has just got over myxi so I know what a worrying time it is. I brought him indoors and he was on baytril for three weeks. I gave him probiotics and loads of fresh spring greens, herbs, leaves, anything to keep him eating and interested. He was not drinking too much so I sent off for some pellets that were high fibre and contained probiotic, which I sprinkled on his food. I really think it helped being indoors free range and having lots of attention. Good luck with your bun. Pam

Read thru the thread link posted from SDF76. Joanne really outdone herself on that difficult task. Ask her directly, she'll help you out. Going thru Oscar and Polo, she can write a book on the subject

One of my two rabbits has contracted Myxomotosis. They were both vaccinated 13th May 08. The ill rabbit is being kept indoors presently. I'm after any advise I can get with regard to treating the disease, apologies if there is already a discussion on this, it seems this year Myxi is rife -> if so can anyone point me in the right direction?.

It is day 18, she has been having twice daily doses of Baytril although she has become reluctant to take antibiotics from the syringe, she is consuming Baytril by food and water. The swelling has significantly reduced although she is now snuffly, I can hear her breathing and the VET has given me a different antibiotic to try yesterday, I have been unable to get her to accept it by syringe as her mouth is still very sore, this is being consumed as added to her food. I have been reading about Eqimune IV but I wouldn't know what this is called in the UK, I will ask the VET about it on my next visit. She is eating normally and washing so I am resolved to give her the best chance possible to get through it.

My rabbit is also fighting myxi at the moment. I have brought her inside (she was previously a free range outdoor bunny), she is having 0.8ml Baytril twice daily and o.4ml Metacam, and I am going to get some probiotic which has been recommended to me on this site. After the first time I gave her the medicine via a syringe she refused to take it, so I have been injecting it into banana and dried apricots which is working so far. Good luck!

Thanks for that. Its nice to know I'm not the only one whose had problems getting medication into a rabbit orally by syringe. I have been feeling bad about it and guilty that it might be impeeding her progress putting the antibiotics in the food instead even though the food's always eaten.

The VET has swapped me onto Septrin now and I'm doing the same with that. She certainly seems to know what she's doing. I haven't been offered Metacam but I'm getting the impression this can cause complications with the digestive tract anyway so maybe its a good thing I don't have it.

I started the Vicks steam bath remedy last night - a couple of bowls next to Rosie's indoor cage and the blanket down over them although I think I will need to keep on trying - she's still wheezy. Audrey is off to the VET tonight for the Myxi jab (last mid May).

Not sure if I should take Rosie yet, I want to see how she is on this Spetrin until Tuesday before I stress her out with taking her to the VET again. She's been there often, 4 times in the first week, 2 in the second week and so far just the once in this third week.

I used to put it on my buns food as well as I thought the struggle to give it orally was probably too stressful for him. He was never given metacam either. Good luck with your bun hope he starts improving soon. Pam

Hi I have recently had two bunnies with myxi, both are now fit and healthy but it wasnt easy.

The best thing to do is bring them indoors, keep her interested in food.

Get here some fibreplex http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180 I went through quite a few tubes of this. I gave them this twice daily after their probiotic.

I would also advise metacam, it is a pain relieving drug and I think it helped alot. Polo and Oscar had this twice daily 0.6ml cat strength. Because of this they were also given Tagamet twice daily to prevent GI problems.

If your bunny had lots of nodules and breathing difficulties, mention Betamox or depocillin injections to your vet as Polo had these and I think it really helped.

Polo was also given Tiacil for her eyes.

They were both also on baytril twice daily.

Jack's Jane, sdf74 and bunlover, capel have all given me fantastic advice.
I hope this has helped somewhat.

When giving the baytril to the bunny via a syringe. Try sitting on a chair and placing the bunny on your knee (head forward). Lean over the bunny and gently hold your bunny's head at the top, and with the other hand insert the syringe into the side of your bunny's mouth avoiding their teeth. I found this method very easy. Any other way was far too difficult. If they are prone to kicking try wrapping them in a towel.

Thanks for your replies, this really helps me. I saw the VET last night to get Audrey a booster vaccination. She said that Rosie does have nodular Myxi and a mild contamination. I told her about the head twitching and she thinks that this could be a neurological problem now. Does anyone else have any experience of this, it does look as though there is a motor neurone problem, it last a few seconds but it is irritating her when she tries to feed she has to wait until it steadys. 'Neurological' sounds bad to me, that sounds permanent and I am more worried about this than anyother of her symptoms.
Her left eye is still weeping but the VET thought that the Septrin would have cleared that up by now. I have got four days left of Septrin to administer. As its Friday now, I think I should maybe take her to the VET again tonight since the weekend is a long time for a poorly bunny and if she stops eating it will be terrible. She is still eating but she just looks so knackered this morning, its more of an effort for her today.

oh dear an update on the Rosie situation. I had to take her to the emergency Vets clinic on Saturday. A piece of her nose fell off that morning and it looked really painful. She has been given Metacam (for dogs), anyway she insists on still eating as much as she ever did and I think this painkiller must be pretty strong as I only need to give her three drops of it a day.

Although I may be old and cynical, please can you send her some of those good vibes please! ;)

Its week eight now and I thought she was getting towards the end of this horrid ordeal. I also will have the problem of reuniting the two Rexes because they've been apart for so long now - any tips on how to do this most welcome as the last attempt to put them together looked a bit aggressive. Rosie is in the house but I just haven't the room to house them both inside. They used to get on a treat, I so hope they can still live together in the same hutch or I might have to rehome one of them and I don't want that.

Went to the vet yesterday and Rosie is doing well. Nose is healing up nicely and she's now off the Metacam. She has a small ulcer in one eye and this has improved also.

I think that this might be the last stretch.
She's been in the house for two months now but I think I should leave her in the house until Christmas at least.

I am hoping to start reuniting both bunnies soon because they were a bonded pair of females but I'm not sure how to go about it apart from putting them in a run each and allowing them to get to know eachother through the bars before I put both runs together and let them run about freely. I have no idea how long this will take but I am worried that they may fight.

Any advise, please?

Aww thank goodness she is almost better :D

Unfortunately she will need to stay in until spring now as her winter coat wont be sufficient and she will have a repressed immune system for the near future.

If you want to bond the pair again, you'll have to have room for both of them inside.

You will need to start from scratch. Clear a neutral area (wipe down floor and walls if either bunny been there) and try putting them back together whilst supervising. They may be ok with each other but it may take some time.

I would also wait until your vet says it is safe to introduce her to another bun again.

Well done on getting her better though :D

*One bun may show slight aggression towards the other or humping/pulling fur. You need to keep your cool, let them get on with it unless you feel one bun is getting hurt. Sometimes if they struggle you can put them both in a carry case and take them for a car ride as they cant fight in there, only hug :lol:

Thanks. I am shocked that I need to keep Rosie in the house until spring. Frankly she's getting a little on the large side (I'd be more worried if she wasn't eating but she needs some more exercise now shes on the road to recovery). Any chance she can go out in the hutch during the daytime if the weather gets milder?

I am a bit confused about their coat thing though. I thought rabbits changed colour during winter/summer but these seem to retain same coat all year round its pretty thick - they tend to get too hot in summer.

Audrey is living outdoors but I haven't the room to bring her in as well but their hutch is in a courtyard area protected from the wind by three sides by the houses and a fourth side by a high gate behind the hutch. They have plastic covering to keep out the wind and rain.

I also have one of those antique hot water bottles made out of some sort of ceramic I can fill up and use.

Back