• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fireworks

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Morning.

Sure the question has been asked many times but is it best to cover the rabbits completely so they are unable to see out to help protect them or should I leave a viewing area? Am covering the hutch/run with blankets to try and block out a bit of noise tonight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jennie

hi

Ideally bring them inside untill noise has died down.
But if outside turn hutch to face wall so that they can't see the flashing. I would put blankets over and lots of bedding to snuggle in and hide. Try putting treats etc in for them to find and occupy them, distracting them. Also don't keep pestering them if you wouldn't normally as then your doing something different and bunny will think its right to be scared. See www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com fireworks.

Can we just say for everyone to send out some thoughts to all animals tonight, to keep safe. As thoughts are living things!

Firweorks were going off last night so I went out to check on the buns and they were sitting outside in the run (they have the option of going in the sheD) eating some hay quite happily :roll:

Mine don't seem bothered at all either. If yours are scared though I would definately baton down the hatches as much as you can. Rabbits seem to feel safer in the dark.

depends where the firworks are, if they're on the same street/next door/etc I like to bring them in so no sparks/etc or really loud bangs startle the bunnies, otherwise I just make sure they have plenty of hay to burrow in and they're usually fine.

Ours have been in for the week as Sooty is a bit nervous anyway. We have turned up the tv slightly to block out the bangs. Think Saturday is going to be worse :roll:

Hi

Unfortunately despite having them covered up and giving them plenty of bedding one of my rabbits has still died. Poor thing must have been frightened to death.

That's awful news, poor wee mite.

I'm sending a letter to my MSP asking that we have them banned from public sale. I hate the stupid things!

Unfortunately despite having them covered up and giving them plenty of bedding one of my rabbits has still died. Poor thing must have been frightened to death.

Oh no :(

You should write a letter to your MP and the local paper :?

I wonder if they can make fireworks that are silent

Im so sorry hun.I cant believe the general public are still aloud to buy explosives over the counter.I think each town should be allowed to have one fire work display.We have them going off tonight the dogs are petriffied and It will go on now for weeks.

I cant see how banning fireworks would solve this problem....surely the way round it would be to bring the animals inside for a couple of evenings. There is another post stressing the importance of bringing in animals during these few days as there are some ass****s that feel fireworks are more fun to play with than actually be used in the proper manner....and unfortunately someones poor rabbit had been stolen, strapped to fireworks and blown up! so personally i feel safer having him inside around this time....if not to protect them the noise....also protect them from the idiots that do things like this

We've got lots of fireworks going off tonight but thankfully my outdoor buns are not bothered by them at all.
They are all out in their run watching them :roll:

Back