• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Rabbit Diet book

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
I would like to get my friend a book for christmas on a wild rabbits diet.Does anyone ave any suggestions please?

i have never heard of one tho there may be some available why not compile your own book look up plants that buns can eat in the wild adn would be found natrually and do up a book that way i odubt anyone has done it as there are soooooooooo many plants and it truthfylly depends on what is growing in that particular area for example some wild buns will eat grass and blackberry bushes and chew willow sticks.... others will have grass and apple tree leaves and other fruit tree leaves there are others with little or no variations where as in some woodlands there are hundreds of shrubs and plants xx

my friends bun suffers from stasis and she is convinced that she keeps it under control by gathering hedgerow plants in season.I bought her a computer for a present so she could get on the Internet but she hasn't managed yet as she suffers from severe depression.What you are saying Is a lovely idea but I have search the Internet and cant find much on wild bunnies diet and seasons

i would be wary about gatherin wild plants for buns as you could mistake one for something else... and anything a dog could have peed on she is probly best to start growing in pots indoors(or outdoors where buuns cant get them) various grasses(85% of wild buns diet) and herbs and plants that grow naturally.... i will have a look up some links but iknow for definate...there are these
blackberry/bramble
dandilion
mint
lavender
corriander
parsley
various grasses(hay experts sellvarious seeds)
apple leaves and branches
nut leaves fromhazelnut
blackcurrent bush leaves
strawberry leaves
wallflowers
nasturshiums
clover
vetch(purple flower wild plant grows near canals often)
nettles
vegatation such as roses and the leaves adn flowers

There isn't anything specific as far as I know. A few wildlife books might mention bunnies but not in great detail.

How about something about identifying hedgerow plants and their different medicinal uses? Or something on drying plants? You can feed them dry which would let her collect things and store for winter.

You can also buy seeds for some common wild plants which can be grown in pots to feed to bunnies. I've can a couple of seed trays full I lift in/out to let the rabbits much on.

Some of the wild plants are the best things for bunnies with delicate tummies so she could be on to something :D

Yes, I'd be interested on a book like this if you find one... I do think that replicating nature as closely as possible is important :D

There isn't anything specific as far as I know. A few wildlife books might mention bunnies but not in great detail.

How about something about identifying hedgerow plants and their different medicinal uses? Or something on drying plants? You can feed them dry which would let her collect things and store for winter.

You can also buy seeds for some common wild plants which can be grown in pots to feed to bunnies. I've can a couple of seed trays full I lift in/out to let the rabbits much on.

Some of the wild plants are the best things for bunnies with delicate tummies so she could be on to something :D

Thank you Tamsin,she is a retired Doctor and swears by hedge row plants to help his tum.I will get her a book on herbal remedies of English plants and there healing properties

a few sites you may find useful
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/links/herbs.php
http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbit_plants_flowers.htm
http://www.adorablerabbits.co.uk/vegweedsherbs.htm
also i went to localgardencentre and they have asection of plants that are meshed off as localrabbits eat them so thats the plants i bought for garden somewhere near you may have something local?
hope this helps xx

Thank you bunlover for your help i will print off the info from these sights and give it to my friend

Last edited:
Back