• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping?!?!?advice please for newly bonded

hardybaby

Warren Scout
hey, lucy and dilan have been neutered/speyed and i have been letting them run round the kitchen together but am hesitant as to wether to leave them together all night because they get on reallllly wellllll but then LUCY humps Dilans head....they dont fight bt poor little dilan has probably lost his urge to mate now lol and lucy has been speyed y is she doing this????? i think dilan feels uncomfortable lol and she bites his fur so dont really want her doing this.... can i leave them alone or what?thanks

Last edited:
humping is often a sign of dominance its done to prove who is boss...also if humping the face i would gently pull off the bun doing the humping as this could result in a bite. are they in a neutral area? how long have they been together? how long have they been enutered?x

Lucy is just showing him she is the boss. If you are worried about the biting and want to seperate them over night I would make sure they can still see/sniff each other through the bars other wise by seperating them you will need to start the bonding process again.

Rabswood

Lucy is just showing him she is the boss. If you are worried about the biting and want to seperate them over night I would make sure they can still see/sniff each other through the bars other wise by seperating them you will need to start the bonding process again.

Rabswood

well put i was just thinking to add that in... the other thing i thought is do you mean pulling fur by the nipping stuff that is normal in bonding to ascertain dominance to. x

hiya, umm theyve been in cages next to each other for months....they been neutered/speyed about a month. she bites his fur to sort of hold him down while she humps.... they wer in a neutral area yeah.... when she isnt doing that she does snuggle up to him and everything... only started bonding them a few days ago by just putting them together in the evenings........i want to leave them together coz they get on well...jus going to keep watching them to see if we can leave them alone wht do u think

If you keep separating them, each evening she will need to claim her dominance again, hence the constant humping.

Ideally you need to leave them together in a neutral space and NOT separate them so you may need time off work etc (I done mine over xmas last year).

You need to allow her to hump him (although be worried about the head as he may bite her if annoyed) and only stop them if it gets violent. You need to be very watchful when bonding buns.

Although it sounds like it is going very well, she is boss and she loves him :love:

Good luck and keep us posted

hiya, umm theyve been in cages next to each other for months....they been neutered/speyed about a month. she bites his fur to sort of hold him down while she humps.... they wer in a neutral area yeah.... when she isnt doing that she does snuggle up to him and everything... only started bonding them a few days ago by just putting them together in the evenings........i want to leave them together coz they get on well...jus going to keep watching them to see if we can leave them alone wht do u think

This is totally normal, they are only holding on so they dont fall off :oops:

What you are describing with your buns is very normal, the more you interfere with them by separating them the more they need to do this as they need to be allowed to sort out their dominance. I would let them get on with it and they will settle.

Injuries to the genitals happen more frequently in the first 48 hours of bonding rabbits than afterwards.

ok im reassured, i think they should be fine to be honest.. she just humps for a few seconds then gets off lol bless him! :):) glad they can be happy together at last :) xx

Back