• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits chew vinyl floor covering? Picture for Auntie Kirsty!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've seen that some of you use vinyl for hutches and indoor housing and I've bought a piece to do a new NIC grid home for Tinks and Rudy seeing as both pluck carpet and it worried me about them eating it.

I've started making their new home and I had a headache most of yesterday (probably from the fumes of this stuff - it pongs!) but as it's so easy to cut I'm worried that they'll just eat that instead and it will be worse than carpet was :?

I've put wooden strips round the edges so they can't chew the edges but I did that with the carpet and they just hacked at the surface, so I might be wasting my time :roll: I'm also worrying about them slipping when jumping off/on shelves so might be putting carpet on the shelves anyway!

I'm assuming the pong will wear off as it isn't as bad today (thinking of the buns here - I escaped it yesterday but if I put them in there they can't!)

Anyone any experience with rabbits chewing the stuff??

Last edited:
Mine have started to eat theirs!!! Splodge & Scrumpie never bothered with it, but Moo & Liquorice are always nibbling on it. Think they do it more now because it's chewed and annoys them!! I try and cover it up with rugs!! :)

Mine have started to eat theirs!!! Splodge & Scrumpie never bothered with it, but Moo & Liquorice are always nibbling on it. Think they do it more now because it's chewed and annoys them!! I try and cover it up with rugs!! :)

Thanks. Sounds a bit like I'll be damned if I and damned if I don't :roll:

Think we could be having industrial hard wear type carpet on top of the vinyl.

Baby Giant who I lost a couple of weeks ago litterally chewed a 8ft x 6ft piece out of her shed. I think she liked making fancy patterns:roll: but none of my others have ever done it:D

I have vinyl floor covering in the bottom of my wardrobe and have to say Lola finds it irresistible, she ahs munched it to death. In fact, I dont think there is anything she does not like to munch.:censored:

I have vinyl floor covering in the bottom of my wardrobe and have to say Lola finds it irresistible, she ahs munched it to death. In fact, I dont think there is anything she does not like to munch.:censored:

:lol: mine are the same - they love anything they shouldn't!!!

I bet if you gave it to her to play with though it wouldn't seem as fun :)

Thanks for all the replies.

They are in their new home and seem to love it (no chewing as yet). The vinyl is too slippy for the leap onto/off the shelves tho' so I need to make some modifications.

Yes, Billy & Gizmo are devouring the vinyl in their shed. It will have to be replaced and bunnyproofed:roll:

pictures pictures pictures :lol:

:wave: Pictures will follow when I've done the modifications - ie put carpet on top of all the vinyl. It was a waste of time trying :roll: At least now when Tinks upskittles her water bowl the vinyl stops it soaking any deeper.

I've also not done the third storey yet, I'm looking forward to finishing it !!!

I got round to taking a picture at last.

PICT3016.jpg

Loved up bunsters on the first shelf :love::love::love::love:

As you can see Auntie Kirsty, Tinks has learnt to use the litter tray :shock::lol::lol:

Back