• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4 week old Rabbits for sale - Help please...UD I PICKED THEM UP AND PIC ADDED

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I have just seen an advert for 4 week old rabbits for sale. Annoyingly I took down the number wrong and will not be able to go back until after work. Are they able to be sold this young. I was going to get confirmed age, breed etc. Is there any advice or do I just let them get on with it? x

Last edited:
I was always told that they shouldnt be seperated from their mum until 9 weeks. It may be different if their been hand fed, but then again i personally think its too young.

me too but they are advertised for sale! I can't call her as the number was erong but I wanted to find out the circumstances posing as a buyer. Can they be helped? Or should I just accept it and hope they get new homes. I can't take them on as permenant residents.

Sounds like they've let the mother breed again and she now has a new litter maybe? Or they're just trying to make a quick $$$ - or both..:evil:

I don't want to say yet, I am just getting the number and I shall call them, give you an update and if we can decide on action I could try and help :)

4 weeks is too young. If you need help convincing the owners tell them a rabbit needs to be with its breeder in at least 8 weeks till their immune system is fully developed, otherwise there's a higher risk of them getting sick later.
This counts regardless if they are with their mother or not, they shouldn't need their mother's milk when they are 6 weeks.

Sometimes people advertise bunnies at 4 weeks, but not ready to be picked up until 8-10 weeks so people can reserve them....
Hopefully this is the case.

Sometimes people advertise bunnies at 4 weeks, but not ready to be picked up until 8-10 weeks so people can reserve them....
Hopefully this is the case.
I am hoping this too but the advert read bunnies for sale - 4 weeks old.
I have tried calling many times but the mobile is off, I will continue to try and update as soon as I know. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I am hoping this too but the advert read bunnies for sale - 4 weeks old.
I have tried calling many times but the mobile is off, I will continue to try and update as soon as I know. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

yes i would say they need to stay with mum till 8 weeks but they might be advertising before then but not letting them go good luck and let us know xx

Still no news on this. I have been trying her number all yesterday and this morning. Its really annoying x

Morning everyone,

I got hold of the lady selling these buns.. They are now 5 weeks old. I asked the important question re being weaned and she said and I quote:

‘yes they are and they started eating like rabbit food, carrots and grass’

I am very concerned about this, no mention of hay!

She is selling them for £10 each or 2 for £15! I know that selling 2 is better than one due to company but I am just worried about the poor souls. Please any advice would be great.

I am considering taking them in, getting them to 11 weeks and then re-homing them. What do you think? If I am over reacting please let me know.. They may end up in loving homes anyway.

Thanks for your time!!

I am, if you all think it is right, going to take them in! Then after New Year re-home them! This will of course cost which is my only issue but i know it is for the best. I shall try and get the mum but she may not want her to go! This is my first 'RESCUE' so I will be looking for lots of help. Do you think they will need extra care at 5 wks?

i would really try and get mum too, if you have the time and space,and money you could try a nameing fundraiser, babies that young without there mom are very time consuming, see jack janes babies they have been touch and go bless emm and there mom past away, otherwise i would tell the lady not to sell them until 8 weeks or i will report her to the rspca, so encourage her to hand them all over for a very small fee on nothing at all, find out were dad is too if you can you dont have to take him of course but at least you can judge whether shes breeding for profit or was accidental, its hard to tell the type of person she is untill your at hers, i dont know highlight the fact that babies are very hard to rehome, and are most likely to end up dead or in a rescue, and say last year we had 30.000 dumped buns last year at least really drum it in without lectureing i found helps :D

Last edited:
Back