• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my little 'un

lauraocal

Warren Scout
I have a little baby and I have been trying to bond him and my girly bun.
I have noticed however that he has started limping.
He is pretty much holding all his weight on one back leg. His front paws are not quite right either.. I know he's young but he cant sit upright properly, he always puts his tummy on the floor when not moving.
I have a lionhead rabbit and she is very upright but he is a lop and I'm not 100% sure he's not suppossed to be like that anyway?
He eats loads and drinks plenty, more than the older one infact yet he's everso boney and delicate.
He still seems happy enough and is faster than ever but still he wont use his leg.
I do have a vets appointment on friday for his vacs and will get his leg checked out too but I'm beginning to worry about his leg and am wondering if I should take him in sooner?
I just dont understand what has happened.. Its not through bonding as they never last more than two minutes together. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

:cry:

I have a little baby and I have been trying to bond him and my girly bun.
I have noticed however that he has started limping.
He is pretty much holding all his weight on one back leg. His front paws are not quite right either.. I know he's young but he cant sit upright properly, he always puts his tummy on the floor when not moving.
I have a lionhead rabbit and she is very upright but he is a lop and I'm not 100% sure he's not suppossed to be like that anyway?
He eats loads and drinks plenty, more than the older one infact yet he's everso boney and delicate.
He still seems happy enough and is faster than ever but still he wont use his leg.
I do have a vets appointment on friday for his vacs and will get his leg checked out too but I'm beginning to worry about his leg and am wondering if I should take him in sooner?
I just dont understand what has happened.. Its not through bonding as they never last more than two minutes together. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

:cry:

How old is your little bunny and how long has he been funny on his legs?

I'd probably arrange for my vet appointment to be moved forward.

Hope you get him sorted soon :)

I'd take him now as he could have broken it or anything. Didn't one of hte bunnies on here break his leg just binkying over enthusiastically?

This is the thing you see, he comes and sits on my knee and happily lets me touch it and move it while he tries to eat my hair..I really dont think its a break or anything as he wouldnt let me stretch it out.
I honestly don't think he's ever been right on his feet and I only got him last thursday, and from the start he's had a wobblyness about him?

well I went to the vets today and have had some awful news.
He has splayed legs.
His back leg was dislocated and there is a risk of it happening again.
I knew there was something funny about his front legs though, they seemed too bendy.

we are going back again tomorrow for some more xrays and a good look how bad his legs are and see if his hip has stayed in place, then decide whats best for him.. poor fella.

:cry: Poor bun. Please don't make any decisions before more people can reply. There are a few members on here who have disabled buns who might be able to give you advice. My reply will bump it up :)

He's gone for his second vet appointment today, he's there now.
I'm quite frankly worried sick.
I don't mind the prospect of a disabled bun at all, I'm with them 24/7 and have plenty of time for him.
I just don't want him to be in pain. Thats no kind of life for any bunny, they are so active and energetic.

Wish him luck with me guys.

Right this is whats happened.
I sent a note today with my bunny as my fella took him for me.
I mentioned a scab/lump on his bad leg side and it turns out to be an abcess.
The place where i got him from (pets at home) have got him booked in with there vet for surgery tomorrow to remove the abcess and they'll also be able to get a better look at his leg.
I'm not too sure about using there own vets as they state;

"we pride ourselves in supplying healthy pets and never knowingly sell one that is sick, injured or suffering from any visual deformities"

This is clearly not true and my rabbit was supposedly checked out by the same vets before going to the shop for sale.
I'm lost, any sugestions?

I'm not too sure about using there own vets as they state;

"we pride ourselves in supplying healthy pets and never knowingly sell one that is sick, injured or suffering from any visual deformities"

This is clearly not true and my rabbit was supposedly checked out by the same vets before going to the shop for sale.
I'm lost, any sugestions?

Did you get him from the Castle Meadow pets at home? If so, they use Castle Veterinary Clinic (or at least I've seen pets at home employees in there with animals). They are pretty good vets and not cheap.

No its the one in mansfield.
When I told my own vet where i got it she said I had the option to take him back but she knows they just put them down.
Its sherwood vets.

I'm scared they'll just put him to sleep and say he died during surgery.

The woman i have been dealing with was very "thats not our fault" with all the problems he has. The moment i mentioned abcess she was suddenly very sorry and couldnt do enough to help.

I simply dont trust them.

Back