• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hutches - Pets@Home

lopears

Warren Scout
Hello
I've been into PAH this morning and asked if they are bringing out some new hutches to meet new rspca guidelines. They are and they should be out within the next 2-3 weeks. Thought people might be interested!:wave:

Thats really good news. Will they stop selling the smaller ones then? Why do they need to sell smaller ones anyway as they dont meet the guidlines?

I do think it's good news - so many people visit PAH now even for other animals that I think good hutch sizes are starting to drip into people's perception as they start to become the 'norm' at a big retailer. I wonder what they'll do with the smaller ones too - some of them may be suitable for piggies but of course that won't stop people putting bunnies in them!

yeh thats what i thought. Unless they sepcificaly rename them Guinea pig hutches? So many people will always go for a cheap option and if thats smaller thats what they will do :( Ive seen so many buns and animals kept in tiny housing. I think they should ban all small cages tbh cause there is no need for them when other larger alternatives are there.

name any 4ft ones as stricktly g.pig hutches..not suitable for rabbits adn then have 5x2x3ft and 6x3x2ft hutches available for bunnys those 3ft hutches must be labeled for tortoises only. or to be used as a run shelter not as permenant accomodation for g.pigs or rabbits. x

name any 4ft ones as stricktly g.pig hutches..not suitable for rabbits adn then have 5x2x3ft and 6x3x2ft hutches available for bunnys those 3ft hutches must be labeled for tortoises only. or to be used as a run shelter not as permenant accomodation for g.pigs or rabbits. x

That would be great :)
Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world :?

Judging from a conversation I once had with a lady that owns a tortoise, they even would need more space than one of those 3 foot hutches - those things are only suitable for fire wood, or as something to wear our buns teeth down on! ;)

The new hutches are hitting stores now. We no longer do a 3' hutch. The smallest hutch we'll do is a 4' x 2' x 2'. We will be doing 6' hutches and also a hutch suitable for Giants (but I will have to see it built up before I can pass opinion).

couple of questions

The new hutches are hitting stores now. We no longer do a 3' hutch. The smallest hutch we'll do is a 4' x 2' x 2'. We will be doing 6' hutches and also a hutch suitable for Giants (but I will have to see it built up before I can pass opinion).

The new hutches that your company is now starting to sell....can you give us some more info as we are always on the lookout in which direction to send people.

What are they constructed of and how thick are the walls, we always ask for a minimum of around 18mm or 3/4 inch for the purposes of insulation would these be ok?

Have they got any special features in order to make changing easier.?..ie are they designed to take easily managable plastic trays that fit snugly thougout the hutch , can be removed and washed or a secong set for example obtained that can be rotated at changing time.

Are they designed to be attached to a decent sized run and yet still be easily accessable without having to go over the top of or into the run first ie acess to the run out the back of ther hutch.

I always get a sense of excitement when I hear of a new range of hutches that are really designed and constructed well so please could give us some details that I can pass on.:)

alan.

Last edited:
Judging from a conversation I once had with a lady that owns a tortoise, they even would need more space than one of those 3 foot hutches - those things are only suitable for fire wood, or as something to wear our buns teeth down on! ;)

apologies i didnt realise as thought while in hibernation they only needed a small area(its ok i dont keep any tortoises)

Aw thats good news about pets at home bringing out new hutches. I bought one from there last week, its huge and in association with the rabbit welfare fun. I am struggling to find other big ones though. What are the guidlines for the sizes of hutches and does anyone know where you can get a big one from?? Thanks. x

Aw thats good news about pets at home bringing out new hutches. I bought one from there last week, its huge and in association with the rabbit welfare fun. I am struggling to find other big ones though. What are the guidlines for the sizes of hutches and does anyone know where you can get a big one from?? Thanks. x

guidelines is 6x3x3ft for a pair of medium buns... ginats in sheds/playhouses or free range in side. for rabbits its 3 hops in length full stretch adn flop in depth and hieght is fully standing upwards height. x

Thanks Bunlover, any idea what this is in inches and cm? Sorry, i'm not the sharpest tool in the tool box and allot of places that sell hutches dont give the measurments in ft. What about 2 story hutches etc... what are the recommended sizes for them? Thanks x

Thanks Bunlover, any idea what this is in inches and cm? Sorry, i'm not the sharpest tool in the tool box and allot of places that sell hutches dont give the measurments in ft. What about 2 story hutches etc... what are the recommended sizes for them? Thanks x

um.... in inches..that is 2 ft or 3ft is ok for width same for height ...=6ft also in cm 2ft=61cm/24inches 6ft=183cm/72 inches 3ft=92cm/36 inches

Thank you so much, really appreciate that. So if I was to buy a 2 story hutch which was 136 x 49 x 99cm, is that size ok?? I suppose as long as it is 3ft long, that is 6ft long in total (top and bottom) thats ok?

For a double decker hutch you need a minimum of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft to get the same area as a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch as the ramp takes up some of the space.

I don't think anything less that a 5ft two tiered hutch is acceptable for 2 rabbits, unless it is 3ft deep, which I have never seen.

There is very little room for rabbits in a 4ft two tier, I would only class that as suitable for guinea pigs.

Back