• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay bales

getlaced

Alpha Buck
do many of you buy your hay in bales? this may be a dumb question but how long does it last? im trying to buy one but im worried it wont stay fresh! im trying 2 find smaller bales in the tyne and wear area if any1 knos wher? thers 1 guy offering 'last years hay' would this be unsuitable?

I buy from Dust Free Hay... its around 18kgs and lasts 4 bunnies 3 months.
approx... although they get treat hay and the indoors don't have as much in thier litter tray x

We use Dust Free Hay too, you can get the giant bale like Indiechic or you can get smaller bags and one of those bags will fill a large dustbin when opened out. There are approx 7 small bales in one Giant bale.

It's alot cheaper to buy in bales. I pinch mine from Hilly's stables which cost me £2 a bale or if i run out, or am running low and need it for horses i buy it from the local farm shop for £4 a bale.
I then put it in bags and it keeps me a long time!
Today i just popped up and got two massive bags (height of ribs) and filled it up with only a few slices! Have used half a bag dotting it around in kennel to keep warm!
I bought home a whole bale once and used half of it in one go and the rest stayed nice and fresh apart from half of the last bag which my dad left in the rain :roll: !

I get a bale of Meadow Hay from Burnhill Feeds.
It lasts me around 2weeks for 15buns, 5GP's and 5Chinchillas!
x

We use Dust Free Hay too, you can get the giant bale like Indiechic or you can get smaller bags and one of those bags will fill a large dustbin when opened out. There are approx 7 small bales in one Giant bale.

yep, forgot to mention that!! i have the space for a large one ha x

its def gona be a small one as ill be keeping it in large bags in an indoor cupboard..........just need 2 source it localy

Ah yeah, you do need alot of room to keep a bale whole, you can just break it up into large bags?

Where do you store the bales? Does anybody give their buns a whole bale to munch on as they like? Or would it get pooed/weed on etc?

I buy my hay in bales for the local horse supplier - the three foot ish long ones - is now about £4.50/bale. Quality varies slightly but then it would with seasonality - is always good, equal if not better than what I used to buy from the pet shop. I store it in the garage, it is loosly covered and have never noticed it stale. I have two rabbits and use it for bedding as well as eating - it seems to last weeks in summer but won't last as long in winter. I only fill the back two foot of the shed as the rest has vet bed in it and I would say it lasts about 6 weeks. When I pick up each hand or armfull I do give it a bit of a shake to get rid of the worst of the little bits and there is a small pile left at the end which I just get rid of. I do supplement with special Oxbow hay for a treat but they love the meadow stuff :D

Hannah

If you find one let me know, I've been looking locally around here too.
I think there is a farm in Whitburn sell hay for horses (there's a stable nearby) but as I drove past it to go in and ask I chickened out.

You want to ask Norman about the laugh we had getting 7 large bales plus straw etc in our old car, he wanted to go and get his camera:lol::lol:

awww he should have!! would have been a laugh!!

I want to go, but its too far so we get ours delivered!!

where bouts was the one in whitburn? is it the stable near the lighthouse? im cr*p with directions of any sort! im going to phone the farm shop in goforth and see if they can help, ill let you know what happens :)

If you can get your hands on one, a wheelie-bin is ideal to store a standard size bale in - You can move it about easily, it stays nice and dry and you can just about squeeze a bale into it.

The fun bit starts when there is only a little left in the bottom, and you have to do handstands in the bin to get it out..... :lol:

what a carry on! nobody has bales of hay for sale! there all saying its because of the bad summer............hmmmm dunno were 2 try now, is it worth going to a farmer?

what a carry on! nobody has bales of hay for sale! there all saying its because of the bad summer............hmmmm dunno were 2 try now, is it worth going to a farmer?

I got advised not to go to farmers for the straw/hay incase thier is anything on it. I know the petshop near me sells bales of hay and straw for betwen £8 and £10

Where abouts in Tyne and Wear?

I normally buy mine from a farm next to Consett, but I noticed they didn't seem to have much left last time I went :? I might have to see if the farm we had our horses at will be willing to sell me a bale. It's worth ringing around all of the local farms/stables as some independant farms who use it to feed their livestock wil usually have a good supply and are willing to sell it on.

Back