• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns Nails.

I cut mine when i think they're getting too long basically, i cut mine at the blood vessel (not too short as it will bleed, a few mm's away from it)

I check all my buns every 2 odd weeks, and trim literally just a mm or 2 off :) I personally think its best to do them little and often rather than take like 5mm off each time :) xXx

If you can't see the blood supply clearly the best thing to do is trim them to the length of the fur on their feet :)

If you can't see the blood supply clearly the best thing to do is trim them to the length of the fur on their feet :)
Oh really? I'll do that next time. I always end up being a bit too careful because I'm always afraid I'll hurt him if I cut them too much..

i think all buns are differant my mini rex i have to do once a month and hes outside biggles whos and indoor bun ive have only ever had to trim his nails twice in 5 years its really odd i think he chews them

how do you file them? Sophie is a 9 weeki only baby bun, but she has never been outside, and is on carpet 24/7. Her claws dig in when snuggling

I cut my buns nails every month on the 18th!!

I always just cut a little bit of at a time, also if you buns nails are darker you can't always see where the dead nail ends so if you make a guess and just press with the clippers on the nail where you want to cut and if you get a reaction out of the bun its too low so try higher up.

i am always really cuatious doing teegs as i once cut the quick and felt awful :oops: so now i trim them as much as i dare then every 6 months when he goes to the vets they do them properly (although the vet did say today i had done a good job and only 1 or 2 were a tiny bit long and she said they were like cutting rocks they are so hard :lol: )

i have got one of those electic files although just a DIY one not a proper animal one, i use it for the dogs claws so tried it with teegra a while ago and he lay still for a good 20 mins having his mani/pedi didnt seem to bother him at all, although he is quite a docile bun really

for dark nails..get a small torch and shine it behind the nail..this shows up the blood vessel and yo ucan cut them safetly! :) xx

I just let my vets do it when they go, Arnie I have done once and although was ok would prefer to leave it to my vets.

Kira has extremely long quicks, unfortunately it means her claws are always long and mutant looking :lol: It doesn't affect her walking etc and you just have to keep an eye on it. I've never seen anything like her claws/quicks in my life :shock:

Back