• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside rabbits - Do they still have free range or not?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Is it too cold for them to be out now? Smudge still has free range of the garden but he seems to spend a lot of time huddled in one place. There is a shelter he can go in but he won't go near it. Daft thing. Just sits on his four legs in a ball type shape. He is happy and gets attention but he just doesn't move as much - too cold? Alternative is being hutched or in the run as he isn't allowed to set foot in the house due to DH being allergic.

My rabbits are free range all year they have a big shed to go into if they want but they are more often in the garden

Mine free range in the garden all year round, but I leave the shed and back door open incase it pees down so they can get to shelter quickly :lol: They usually just sit in the rain though :roll: The cold weather doesn't seem to bother any of mine, they play the same in the winter as they do in the summer :)

Mine are indoor buns (indoors with windows open all day & no heating on), but I still get them out free range in garden a few times a week:D

My outdoor buns arent free range as such - they are restricted by the run, as my next door niegbhour has a massive dog and her garden is absolutley disgusting and covered in dog poo so dont want the rabbits getting in there by accidental!
My indoor ones have the indoor cage opened and are allowed to hop about the kitchen and diner or they go in the run with Fletcher and Ella
Rabbits are quite resilient to cold - I just make sure both my outdoor buns have plenty of straw and that thier nic cubes are well covered at night - and if the night is too chilly that they have a hot water bottle!

Back