• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody else dream about starting a sanctuary?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I always dream about how I would like to start a sanctuary for bunnies...probably for dental bunnies who would otherwise be PTS.

But unfortunately I have a full-time job which stops me from doing anything like that, and nobody to help with the buns. :roll: :(

Don't think I'd want to run a rescue though, because I don't have the patience to deal with people.

Anybody else have a similar dream? :D

:lol: Both

I don't think I could do rescue work for the same reason you said though, I think I would actually just snap and hit someone if I had to go deal with situations like the rescues on here deal with :(

It is the ideal situation, helping the rabbits without having to deal with the numpties :lol:

All the time. Win several million on the lottery buy big house in middle of no where lots of land and have loads of animals that no one else wants.

Its a nice dream, I do the lottery in vain hope that one day it will be me.

If only. I also do the lottery with a dream of opening a bunny sanctuary.

I can't think of anything nicer. Waking up in a big house with masses of land and loads of bunnies. The bunnies could have the West Wing!

I would spend all day just looking after them and being with them. That's my idea of heaven :)

I'll just have to carry on dreaming :roll:

:lol: I am always thinking I would do this and that if I won the lottery, but I never even buy tickets :shock: :lol:

:lol:Does that mean I'm living the dream???? :lol::lol: except for the lottery win and the big house with land that is.

Looking after special needs bunnies was something I had always wanted to do for many many years. Then I realised one day that i was doing it without consciously thinking about it. Every bunny I took in was either elderly or had health problems. So it was last year that we decided to give ourselves a proper name and start designing our website etc. When i excitedly told friends what we were doing, thinking they would be really pleased, the comments I usually got were but weren't you doing that any way :lol::lol:

I do still dream of doing things bigger and better for the bunnies ie heating in the sheds, a house with a bigger garden all the usual things :)

prehaps I should start buying lottery tickets again :lol:

I would love to do it! Like you I wouldn't want it to be a rescue, because I don't think I could deal with members of the public day in day out - unless of course they were all like us on RU. :D My hubby thinks we're nearly there seeing as we've got 15 buns, but I keep telling him if we won the lottery it would be more like 115 :shock: Bunnies galore - all the ones that are either ill, elderley, disabled etc - it would be my idea of heaven. Oh well I can keep dreaming :roll:

I suppose we have an unofficial one, it took us a while to figure out just what we wanted to do though. We've always taken in the odd waif or stray, and then decided to help a rescue, we fostered, did home checks and uplifts. Very soon we realised we got too attached to the animals. Over the past year we have made a conscious decision to take only animals who are at risk, unlikely to find a good home or are going to be PTS.
I know what people mean about winning the lottery and having more animals, but I think we are happy at the limit we are now, any bigger and we would have to depend on others to help, and I am always wary of that, because, so often people move on and I would worry about not then being able to cope with those animals we had.
Mind you , like Hugo's there, we are constantly trying to upgrade to make things better for the animals and easier for ourselves!:roll:

I do! :wave:

If I won a heap of money I would have a sanctuary for any animal we could accommodate and care for :)

Ive always wanted a sanctuary and a place where underprivileged kids/youths can come to learn about nature and the environment with live in counsellors and get them to take part in caring for the animals and the countryside around them :)

recipe for a rabbit rescue

One large field and barns
three buckets full of lip biting and tact
5 quarters of a week
hundreds and thousands of friends and family

mix with unlimited supplies of money until liquid. Beware of stiring....this can aggitate the mix and lead to explosions.

:D I'm living my dream with the buns that we have:D But it's hard work and terribly heartbreaking - having said that, it's the most satisfying thing to do in the world:love::love::love:

I would love to have more money and more space though, so a lottery win would be fantastic :D

recipe for a rabbit rescue

One large field and barns
three buckets full of lip biting and tact
5 quarters of a week
hundreds and thousands of friends and family

mix with unlimited supplies of money until liquid. Beware of stiring....this can aggitate the mix and lead to explosions.

love it but .... as above but add in... a million hay bales fresh from the farm.... veg home grown and a vet account which is heavily discounted by such a caring vet....
one day i will be a ssnctury/rescue...one day :(

if i won the lottery i would start a rescue centre, it would be bunny world, with vets on the yard and open days where people can bring their rabbits and get advice and medical help and i would a lovely big shop full of rabbit stuff and advice centre to educate school kids and people adopting bunnies. :love: if only

Up until today I'd have said I'd love to run a Bunny Sanctuary.
But somehow I dont think I am cut out for the heartbreak and the problems people can cause for reasons best known to themself

:cry:

If I did have a Sanctuary it'd need to be in the most isolated part of the planet so as to have minimal contact with humans who quite frankly do my head in..............

No offence intended to humans on here.

Up until today I'd have said I'd love to run a Bunny Sanctuary.
But somehow I dont think I am cut out for the heartbreak and the problems people can cause for reasons best known to themself

I must admit that it sometimes feels like the illness and the losses never end :( but there is always something to make you smile inbetween and thats what I have to focus on. Saying that I don't think I shall ever get over loosing Evie knowing that she was the way she was because of other people's cruelty, that does make it a lot harder to bear :(

Back